Most of the Santa Cruz Public Library branches (and the Bookmobile) have Teen Self Help collections. These books may be borrowed by anyone on the HONOR SYSTEM — whether you have a library card or not.
How this works:
If the book you want has a label on the front cover saying it's part of the Teen Self Help Collection, you can borrow it for as long as you need it, without checking it out. Please return the book to any branch when you're finished with it so that others can read it too.
Browse by subject:
- FamilyDoctor.org (familydoctor.org) Medical advice from the American Academy of Family Physicians)
- California Youth Crisis Line (https://calyouth.org/cycl/) 24/7 crisis line providing advice and resources about abuse, depression, homelessness, family issues, and more. For youth ages 12-24 and families. Available in different languages. (800) 843-5200
- Love is Respect (https://www.loveisrespect.org/) A website geared to preventing dating violence and helping survivors. 24/7 helpline run by peer advocates (866) 331-9474 or text LOVEIS to 22522.
- The Trevor Project (https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/) A website and hotline dedicated to supporting LGBTQ teens.Call the 24/7 Trevor Lifeline 1-866-488-7386. Or text TREVOR to 1-202-304-1200 for help, M-F, noon-7pm.
- National Runaway Safeline (https://www.1800runaway.org/) Call 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) if you are a teenager who is thinking of running from home, if you have a friend who has run and is looking for help, or if you are a runaway ready to go home. This is a 24-hour crisis line, also available for chat through the webpage
- Teen Line (https://teenlineonline.org/) A crisis and suicide prevention line where all calls are answered by teens. Call 1-800-852-8336, or text TEEN to 839863 between 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM, every night. Resources are also available on the website.
- Family Service Agency of the Central Coast (https://fsa-cc.org/suicide-prevention-service/) Suicide Prevention Hotline. 24/7 multilingual suicide crisis line. Toll-free: 1-877-663-5433 (ONE LIFE) Serving Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties for over 50 years
- Know the Signs (https://www.suicideispreventable.org/) A statewide suicide prevention social marketing campaign to educate Californians how to recognize the warning signs of suicide, how to find the words to have a direct conversation with someone in crisis and where to find professional help and resources.
- NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness (https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/Teens-Young-Adults) Online community with peer info and support. Helpline: 800-950-6264 In a crisis? Text NAMI to 741741
Encompass Community Services: Transitional Age Youth, Ages 15-24
Community Action Board of Santa Cruz, Inc. & Santa Cruz County Office of Education: Youth Homeless Response Team