Branch Locations & Hours - La Selva Beach
316 Estrella Avenue
La Selva Beach, CA 95076-1724 ( View Map)
La Selva Beach: 831-427-7710
Telephone Reference: 831-427-7713
Branch Services — Beyond Books...
- Public Internet Access - Adults
2 machines with internet and Microsoft Office with one hour time limit; printing is 15¢ per page
- Public Internet Access - Kids
1 machine with internet and Microsoft Office with one hour time limit, for ages 18 and under
First 10 pages printed free (K-12 homework only), 15¢ per page thereafter
- Wireless Internet Access
About the Branch:
Square Feet: 2,200
The La Selva Beach library originally opened in the La Selva Beach Community Hall in May, 1950, with Mrs. P.B. Curtice and Paula Menn in charge. By 1967, the La Selva Recreation District felt that the community needed a larger branch. A proposal to build a twelve square foot addition to the La Selva Beach recreation hall was approved and designed by civil engineer Ivan Parker. By October, 1968, the building was completed, and the library opened in its new quarters on October 28.
Shortly after the passage of Proposition 13 in 1978, the branch was closed due to library budget shortfalls. Citizens of the area immediately began a campaign, which was successful, to get their branch reopened, and it did in January, 1979. The next year, budget problems continued to plague the entire library system, and the La Selva Beach branch could only stay open by being staffed by a group of dedicated volunteers.
In May 1988, after more than 8 years, paid staff (a half-time position) once again became available at the branch. Along with this renewed commitment, discussions began about expanding the branch. Through a variety of community fund-raising efforts, money from the county, LSB Recreation District, SCPL Friends, and other sources, the funding was procured, and a construction contract was awarded to Michael Kaping Construction in July, 1995. Work began that same month, and a children's room and staff room was added. The final cost was $113,251 to add 600 square feet, and the branch re-opened on January 3, 1996.
In August, 2002, a Young Adult section was added to the Young People's room, and in June, 2003, the Barbara Lockhart Memorial Garden was finished. It contains a lovely bench, stepping stones, and many beautiful plants.
Last updated by teeterj on Sept. 26, 2013