Summer Reading Program | Programa de Lectura de Verano
An Events & Reading Program for
Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens, and Adults!
The Santa Cruz Public Libraries' (SCPL) Summer Reading Program begins June 1st and runs through July 31st. Studies show that reading over the summer can significantly reduce Summer Slide - a term for the learning loss experienced over the summer. That's why summer reading is such an important program for kids. Kids, teens, and adults track their reading, complete activities, and earn raffle entries and prizes. All ages are invited to register at santacruzpl.org/srp or by calling 831-427-7713.
- Kids and teens (ages 0-18) receive a $10 Atlantis Fantasyworld gift certificate good towards a specially curated collection of comics and graphic novels.
- After completing the goal of reading for 5 hours:
- Kids (ages 0-11) receive a brand new free book selected by our librarians for summer reading.
- Teens (ages 12-18) receive a special tote bag with goodies inside.
- Adults (ages 19 and up) receive a tote bag and a raffle ticket.
Participants earn raffle tickets for completing additional reading and activities.
Upon 10 and 15 hours of reading and upon earning 5 and 10 activity badges:
- All ages receive a raffle ticket.
- Upon 20 hours of reading:
- Kids & teens receive a free ice cream scoop from the Penny Ice Creamery.
- Adults receive a raffle ticket for the Grand Prize: family membership to the Monterey Bay Aquarium or the Museum of Art and History.
Raffle prizes are gift cards to a variety of local merchants. Winners will be notified at the beginning of August by email or phone.
How to Participate in Summer Reading
To sign up, visit santacruzpl.org/srp or pick up a paper Reading Log at any open SCPL Branch Those without internet access may call 831-427-7713 or text 831-264-0647 to be entered into the program. Signups begin June 1st and participants have until July 31st to sign out of the program and receive their rewards. Participants of all ages are encouraged to read books of their own choosing, listen to audio books, or be read to.
We will continue to use the Beanstack online platform for families and individuals to track their reading over the summer. The platform allows readers to add reviews and claim rewards and includes a mobile app. Paper reading logs are available to those who prefer to track their reading that way.
Summer Programs and Events
We have planned a wide range of interactive live and recorded programs, starting with our kickoff event at 11 a.m. on May 26th via Zoom. Participants will meet Delrita the elephant and learn about these amazing creatures. A video program about Delrita will be available on our Youtube page for one week after the virtual program. Other events include STEAM projects, magic shows, circus acts, NorCal Bats, musical performances, and more. In addition to our many interesting virtual programs, SCPL will hold three in-person outdoor events. Check our calendar at santacruzpl.org/calendar or visit our Summer Reading Webpage at santacruzpl.org/srp after June 1st for information and registration links.
The Santa Cruz Public Libraries' Summer Reading Program is made possible through our partnership with Atlantis Fantasyworld, the Penny Ice Creamery, and the Friends of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries.
View similarly tagged posts: Santa Cruz, Kids, Services, Summer Reading, Events, Teens, Performances, Music, STEM/STEAM, Art
Posted by cowend on May 20, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
News Archives >>