Update: Covid-19 Impacts on Library Community
In light of the first reported cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) in Santa Cruz County, we want to reassure our community that the Santa Cruz Public Libraries (SCPL) is working closely with Santa Cruz Public Health Services Agency to monitor the latest information and guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) related to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The County recommends that events of fifty or more people should be temporarily suspended at this time. The Library will implement that recommendation for all programs and meeting room reservations. Since some of our toddler time and story time programs do reach that number, the Library is suspending all toddler time, and storytime and Tail to Tales programs. Please consult our events page for up to date information on all of our programs.
The Library's highest priority is the health, safety, and well-being of our community members. Because we are fully committed to ensuring that our libraries are safe and welcoming to all, we've implemented a strategy that prioritizes prevention by integrating the following recommendations shared by the CDC and County Public Health Department:
Take Care of Your Health and Help Protect Others
- Staying home, if you're not feeling well.
- Washing your hands frequently (use soap and water for at least 20 seconds).
- Maintaining social distance (at least an arm's length or 3-6 ft. between yourself and others).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Visit the County of Santa Cruz Health Services Agency or Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the latest Coronavirus updates and more recommendations and resources in Spanish.
Preventative Measures Being Taken at SCPL
- Temporary suspension of some programs and all programs that exceed fifty people.
- Encouraging Library staff and volunteers to wash their hands frequently, use gloves, and wipe down touched points (elevators, door handles, tables, computers, self-checkout machines, etc.) using disinfecting wipes, throughout the day.
- Increasing our supplies of alcohol-based hand sanitizers for both public and staff to use, if needed.
- Displaying Coronavirus informational bilingual flyers at all SCPL locations.
- Communicating and updating our staff and volunteers, as news develops.
- All libraries are open as usual.
- Most of our scheduled programs/events will continue to be offered except for toddler time, storytime and Tales to Tails and programs that exceed fifty people. However, the Library will be reviewing public programs on a daily basis, to discuss possible modifications to ensure the health and safety of staff and attendees. We encourage you to please check online event listings before attending programs in case there are any changes.
- Follow the library on social media @SantaCruzPL for the latest updates.
- Visit the County of Santa Cruz Health Services Agency for emergency public information notifications and updates on COVID-19.
SCPL will continue to work closely with our local municipalities, and County offices to monitor developing information. We thank you for your continued support and for helping keep our communities safe and welcoming.
Enjoy Your Library from the Comfort of Your Home
News Archives >>