New Reopening Phase: Active Browsing!
We are so pleased to announce expanded access to library materials and facilities as Covid-19 restrictions are eased in Santa Cruz County. Other limitations will persist for a time until staffing levels return to pre-Covid levels. The Library system experienced significant staffing reductions since last spring, which has profoundly impacted services. The Library intends to restore services in phases, beginning today and continuing throughout the spring and summer.
Active Browsing begins at the newly renovated La Selva Beach Branch Library starting May 4, 2021. The Felton and Live Oak Branches will begin Active Browsing on May 11th, and the Scotts Valley Branch will begin on May 17th. The Aptos and Downtown Branches will continue to provide Lobby Grab & Go and Computer Access services only. The Downton Branch Library will begin to restore services more fully beginning in June. The new Capitola Branch Library will also open fully in June.
Active Browsing is designed to provide access to the libraries' physical collections while limiting the amount of time people spend in the building in order to reduce the risk of exposure to Covid-19. Services that will be provided during this phase of reopening include:
- Staff help with quick questions from a safe physical distance.
- Browse shelves
- Pick up and check out holds.
- Computer use, limited to one session, up to 45 minutes, per day
- WiFi is available for use outside the library, such as the patio at Felton, La Selva Beach, and Scotts Valley
- Wireless printing is currently available with no charge
- Cash transactions
- Copiers are available for a fee
- Restrooms are available
- Library laptops for check out can be checked out and used on a patio
Services not currently available during this phase of reopening include:
- In-library reading, studying, or socializing
- Furniture will not be available to sit and read materials
- Meeting and study rooms are closed
- In-person programs or events
- Technology assistance
- Drinking fountains are not available
Health & Safety Precautions are still in effect. Every person over the age of 2 years must wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth, that fits snugly against the face without gaps. Coverings such as bandanas, face shields, and masks with vents are not permitted. Disposable face masks will be available to patrons who do not have one. Additionally:
- Social distancing of 6 feet or more is required.
- Please do not enter any branch facility if you are sick, have a cough, or have any symptoms of Covid-19
- Occupancy is limited
- Hand sanitizers available
- Visits are limited to 30 minutes
The Active Browsing phase of reopening intended to balance increased access to library materials with maintaining the health and safety of patrons, staff, and the community. We are delighted to invite people back into our buildings once again. SCPL continues to plan for expanded services in accordance with health and safety guidelines and as restrictions continue to ease.
News Archives >>