You Can Do That @ the Library?!
SCPL News & Announcements - Latest Posts
Sunday, June 16, 2013
Summer Reading Events - June 16 - 22
Summer Reading is in full swing! Join us this week at the following fun events.
- Storyteller Jerry Falek will be performing at the Live Oak Branch on Sunday at 2pm and at Felton on Tuesday at 1:30pm.
- The Surfing Magician will be at the Garfield Park Branch at 10:30am on Monday, at Scotts Valley at 10:30am on Tuesday, at the Aptos Branch on Thursday at 1pm, and at the Branciforte Branch at 3:30pm on Thursday.
- For film aficionados, there's "An Inconvenient Truth" as part of our Food for Thought Summer film series, showing at the Downtown branch at 7pm. For a more lighthearted time, catch "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" at the Scotts Valley Branch Saturday afternoon at 3pm.
- For Teen Tech Tasters at the Scotts Valley Branch, Robin Macomber from Digital Media Factory will be leading a video making workshop at 3pm on Wednesday. Sign up for both Parts 1 & 2 and make a movie to show on the big screen!
- On Thursday, we'll be making bubbles of all sizes on the Garfield Park Branch lawn, starting at 2pm.
- Also at Garfield Park, bring a stuffed animal friend to the library and let them experience a sleepover! Who knows what those animals will get up to after everyone goes home? The tea party and drop off starts at 2pm on Friday. Your animal friends can be picked up on Monday the 24th at 10:30am.
- On Saturday, we'll be making stomp rockets at Boulder Creek, starting at 1pm. Kids under 8 will need an adult to help them.
And that's not all! Check the Summer Reading Calendar for crafts, story times, and other fun stuff happening this week.
Monday, June 10, 2013
Summer Reading is Here
Summer Reading begins today! Registration is open, so go sign up now to participate! Reading for 1 hour earns you one Summer Reading Dollar — you can earn up to 20. Fill in the circles on your Reading Log to keep track of the time you spend reading. You can pick up your official Summer Reading Log at any branch Library.
But the Reading Log isn't the only exciting thing going on at the library -- we've got tons of great events happening! Here's a taste of what's on our plates this week:
The amazing Fratello Marionettes will be performing "Peter and the Wolf" at several of our branches.
On June 10th, find them at:
- Live Oak @ 10:30am
- Garfield Park @ 1:30pm
- Scotts Valley @ 6:00pm
On June 11th, they will be at:
- La Selva Beach @ 10:30am
- Felton @ 1:30
- Capitola @ 6:30
On June 13th, they will be at:
- Downtown @ 10:30am
- Boulder Creek @ 1:30pm
- Aptos @ 6:00pm
The Family Movie Series kicks off, featuring films from Pixar.
|Tuesday 6/11||Wall-E||Live Oak||6pm|
|Saturday 6/15||Cars||Scotts Valley||3pm|
After watching the movies, join us at Atlantis Fantasyworld to meet some of the amazing artists who create Pixar movies! All are welcome from 1pm to 5pm at 1020 Cedar St in Santa Cruz.
And that's not all... there are story times, craft times, garden times, and more! Look at the Summer Reading Calendar for more information.
Wednesday, June 5, 2013
Summer Reading Online Registrations
The Summer Reading Program officially begins on Monday, June 10th, but you can register online starting today!
This year's theme is "Reading is so delicious" so get ready for a series of yummy books and events heading your way. If you want a taste of what's coming, take a peek at the Summer Reading calendar.
Monday, June 3, 2013
More from the Sheet Music Database: Fascination
From May flowers to love in bloom...here's Fascination, played and sung by SCPL staff member Heather Norquist. Music by F. D. Marchetti, words by Dick Manning.
The SCPL sheet music collection is housed at the Downtown Branch Library Reference Department. This collection is available for reference use and for viewing and/or copying.
View similarly tagged posts: Services
Posted by teeterj on June 3, 2013 at 10 a.m.
Friday, May 31, 2013
SCPL Friends Present: Wine in the Stacks
To grow support for our libraries' tutoring program, Poet Laureate David Swanger invites you to an after-hours mixer with drinks and appetizers at the Branciforte Library.
Wine in the Stacks
Friday, June 7th
6 pm to 8 pm; Branciforte Library
230 Gault St, Santa Cruz, CA 95062
A small grant provides funding for tutors at 7 of our library branches. We need your donations to keep the libraries open, lit, staffed and supplied for students needing our tutors' help.
Help give future students a place to keep the conversation going.
Minimum donation requested: $15 in advance; $20 at the door. Purchase tickets now!