Santa Cruz County History - Places

National Guard Training Site--Camp McQuaide
by Carmen Morones

The National Guard training site for the 250th Coast Artillery Regiment was established in Capitola in 1926. The camp was located near the Santa Cruz-Capitola Airport (now occupied by Capitola and New Brighton Middle Schools) and basically used as a summer camp by the 250th for a two week manuever each year. Capitola's residents objected to the firing of guns during mauevers so, in 1938, the camp was relocated to another site.

The new location was 400 acres of newly purchased land off the coast near San Andreas Rd. It was at this site that the camp was dedicated and named in memory of the deceased, Major Joseph P. McQuaide, who had been the Chaplain of the 250th regiment for many years.

In the 1940's the camp was developed as a Coast Artillery Training Center for the war. It also became the official stockade for the stateside army AWOLS. After World War II, the site was considered surplus and decommissioned. In 1948 the empty camp was considered for a local junior college but lacked county-wide support. It was subsequently purchased by the Seventh-Day Adventists who founded the Monterey Bay Academy.

Sources (visited July--August 2001):

View similarly tagged articles:



It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.