Santa Cruz County History - Recreation & Sports

History of the Santa Cruz Harbor
by Santa Cruz Port District

The Santa Cruz Port District was formed in 1950 by election of the people for the purpose of developing harbor facilities in the Santa Cruz area. Studies on the Harbor undertaken by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers were completed in 1958 and presented to Congress. As a result, a joint project was established for the development of Santa Cruz Harbor with the participation of the Army Corps of Engineers, the agency which is currently [1980] designated the California Department of Boating and Waterways (BAW), and the Santa Cruz Port District. The Lower Harbor was completed in 1964 with breakwaters provided by the Corps of Engineers. Harbor facilities were developed by the Port District with financing proved by BAW through a twenty-year loan. Approximately 360 berths were created, plus a launching ramp. Because of great demand for berthing in the 1960's, the Port District initiated action to expand the Harbor beyond the Murray Street bridge into Arana Gulch and upper Woods Lagoon. The District, with cooperation from BAW, arranged to finance the project with a state loan and a grant from the Department of Parks and Recreation. The facility was completed in 1973 and provided approximately 560 additional berths.

View similarly tagged articles:

Arana Gulch


It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.