Books & More
"Discretion is not the better part of biography."
— Lytton Strachey
Reader's Link - Finding Information on Books & Authors
Book News from NPR...
- Amazon Deal With Simon & Schuster Raises Questions For Other Publishers
Amazon has received a fair amount of bad press lately over its long-running dispute with the Hachette publishing house. So Monday's announcement of a deal with Simon & Schuster took some industry watchers by surprise. [Tue, Oct. 21]
- You Definitely Need This Condo Pony, And Other Products From 'SkyMaul'
"The Hot Dog Clock" and "The Forever Diaper" are also must-haves. A San Francisco comedy group is once again poking fun at the in-flight catalog SkyMall. [Tue, Oct. 21]
- Book News: Amazon Inks A Deal With A Publisher Not Named Hachette
The online retailer has reached a multiyear deal with Simon & Schuster, one of the "Big Five" U.S. publishers. Meanwhile, Amazon's pricing dispute with Hachette Book Group persists. [Tue, Oct. 21]
- Who Is 'Limonov'? Not Even His Biographer Really Knows
A new biography of the Russian political prankster/author/revolutionary Edward Limonov asks what turns out to be an unanswerable question: What's Limonov thinking, and what does he really want? [Tue, Oct. 21]
- From Sizzling Fajitas To The Super Bowl, How Sounds Help Sell
Joel Beckerman is a composer who specializes in sonic branding. His new book is called The Sonic Boom: How Sound Transforms the Way We Think, Feel, and Buy. [Mon, Oct. 20]