Books & More
"Ordinary people know little of the time and effort it takes to learn to read. I have been eighty years at it, and have not reached my goal."
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Reader's Link - Finding Information on Books & Authors
Book News from NPR...
- How Do You Spot A Nonconformist? You Can Start With Their Internet Browser
According to Adam Grant, a person's preferred browser is one way to tell whether they accept or reject the defaults in their life. His new book is called Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World. [Sun, Feb. 7]
- Folklore For Hipsters: Fairy Tales Before They Were Cool
Translated from Giambattista Basile's 17th century stories, Tale of Tales — known as the world's first collection of fairy tales — traverses through 50 fantastical adventures. [Sun, Feb. 7]
- Weekend Edition's Scott Simon Will Take A Leave Of Absence
Scott Simon announces a leave of absence to collaborate on a book with Tony Bennett. [Sat, Feb. 6]
- Man Booker Prize Awardee Recasts Complex 'Merchant of Venice' Character
In "Shylock Is My Name," Howard Jacobson re-imagines one of Shakespeare's most thought-provoking characters. Scott Simon asks Jacobson about it. [Sat, Feb. 6]
- Profane And Pornographic, Irvine Welsh's Latest Plumbs A New Kind Of Emptiness
A Decent Ride brings back many of Welsh's beloved characters with their ribald humor and Scottish vernacular, but now they must address a new challenge: aging. [Sat, Feb. 6]