Books & More
"The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Reader's Link - Finding Information on Books & Authors
Book News from NPR...
- 'Rolling The R's' Is A Story About Coming Of Age And Coming Out
Rolling the R's tells the stories of restless teenagers in the disco era in a gritty neighborhood in Hawaii. Author R. Zamora Linmark discusses the book's impact, 20 years after it first came out. [Sun, May 29]
- Parenting Pitfalls: Renegades, Privilege And Putting On The Boxing Gloves
Heather Shumaker and Stephanie Land are two parenting writers with different ideas about how class and conventional wisdom shape the modern view of parenting. [Sun, May 29]
- 'Sweetbitter' Is A Savory Saga Of Restaurant Life And Love
Oysters, cocaine, fine wine, love triangles: Stephanie Danler's debut novel Sweetbitter follows a year in the life of a young woman working at a top-tier Manhattan restaurant. [Sun, May 29]
- Adventurer Says 'Walking The Himalayas' Wasn't About 'Sticking Flags In Peaks'
Levison Wood, who previously walked the length of the Nile River, has now trekked 1,700 miles, from Afghanistan to Bhutan, along the Himalayan mountain range. [Sun, May 29]
- Lonely 'Hope' Appears, But Is Quickly Forgotten
Claire North's moving new novel The Sudden Appearance of Hope centers on a young woman who cannot be remembered; only animals or people with brain damage can recall their interactions with her. [Sun, May 29]