Books & More
"A great book should leave you with many experiences and slightly exhausted at the end. You should live several lives while reading it. "
— William Styron
Reader's Link - Finding Information on Books & Authors
Book News from NPR...
- Book News: Gabriel García Márquez Left An Unpublished Manuscript
Also: a previously unpublished story by Shirley Jackson; tips to tell whether you are in a Charles Dickens novel. [Wed, April 23]
- Better (?) Living Through Chemistry In 'Afterparty'
Darryl Gregory's new novel, Afterparty, envisions a future where anyone with the right gear can make his own custom drugs. Critic Jason Sheehan calls it a juicy jumble of second-generation biopunk. [Wed, April 23]
- Book Review: 'In Praise Of Hatred'
Alan Cheuse reviews the novel In Praise of Hatred, by Khaled Khalifa. The book, which was recently translated to English, features a young Muslim girl in 1980s Syria. [Tue, April 22]
- 'Forcing The Spring' Tells One Chapter In Story Of Marriage Equality
The strategy of going to the Supreme Court to challenge Proposition 8 was controversial within the gay-rights movement. Now, Jo Becker's new book is proving to be controversial as well. [Tue, April 22]
- Book News: Ex-Supreme Court Justice Wants 6 Changes To Constitution
Also: The battle over the word "literally," Claudia Rankine won the $50,000 Jackson Poetry Prize. [Tue, April 22]