Books & More
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read."
— Groucho Marx
Reader's Link - Finding Information on Books & Authors
Book News from NPR...
- 'Rocket Girl' Is A Jetpack-Powered 21st Century Angel
Amy Reeder and Brandon Montclare's effervescent comic about a flight-suited future teenager is now out in a paperback collection. Reviewer Etelka Lehoczky calls it "a high-spirited, often funny ride." [Wed, July 23]
- Book Review: 'Angels Make Their Hope Here'
Alan Cheuse reviews Angels Make Their Hope Here, by Breena Clarke. [Tue, July 22]
- How Scientists Created A Typhus Vaccine In A 'Fantastic Laboratory'
Arthur Allen's new book, The Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl, describes how a WWII scientist in Poland smuggled the typhus vaccine to Jews — while his team made a weakened version for the Nazis. [Tue, July 22]
- Despite Disability, One Mountain Climber Reflects On His Advantages
Spencer West was born with a genetic disorder that led to both his legs being amputated. West tells host Michel Martin about how he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro using just his hands and arms. [Tue, July 22]
- Book News: Thomas Berger, Author Of 'Little Big Man,' Dies
Also: A survey suggests that the dispute between Amazon and Hachette may be deterring customers; Harper Lee apparently has questionable taste in coffee. [Tue, July 22]