Favorite Quotes

"In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you."

— Mortimer Adler

Reader's Link

Saluki hippies

...In the highlands since time immemorial

Title: ...In the highlands since time immemorial
By: Joanna Ostrow

The drawback to reading and loving Joanna Ostrow’s lovely, quirky first novel is the letdown when you discover that this is all you’ll get. No, Ostrow didn’t die young or suffer a public meltdown; following the considerable success of ...In the highlands she talked about working on a second book, but never delivered it. By all accounts, she has led a perfectly fine life without publishing the second novel for which many readers (to say nothing of her publishers) yearned. But don’t let that stop you from relishing this unique treat

View similarly tagged posts: fiction

Posted by curious on March 18, 2010 at 4:01 p.m.
8 Comments

Comments

July 8, 2010 at 2 p.m.:

Have you any idea as to the author's whereabouts? I went to high school with her and would love to get back in touch.

September 10, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.:

Oh how I've loved this book since I 1st found it shortly after it came out in paperback! It is an absolutely unique story, highly visual, with such finely drawn characters they stay alive in your mind for the rest of your life. Even Ms. Ostrow's superb descriptions of how the Saluki (dog) acts & thinks are utterly singular & spot-on. Hence for all who have not read it: grab yourselves a copy from your library -- or from online sources such as Ebay, Amazon, or other used book sellers -- & settle down by the fire for 1 of the most unusual reads of your life. Before you're done you'll even be reading conversations in Scots Gaelic [the formal name of the Scots' own very distinct version; & pronounced "Gallic" as opposed to Irish "Gey-lic"] -- & it's a language which was already considered "almost dead" when Joanna wrote this book some decades ago! An acerbic & yet lush, fey & yet very grounded book which appeals even to those who rarely enjoy 'modern' fiction (i.e., as opposed to nonfiction & literature: yes, such as I]. But then, history's verdict will certainly reclassify this marvel of a book into the category of 'Literature' if it hasn't already. "In The Highlands Since Time Immemorial" is as off the beaten track as a book can get, & anyone who reads it is much, much richer for it. New readers: dive in!

July 28, 2012 at 12:19 p.m.:

In addition, Joanna Ostrow is the most beautiful woman to ever walk the earth.
In the 1960s, she would stop traffic and reduce schoolboys to tears. Looking at her was like looking at the sun.

September 5, 2012 at 9:13 p.m.:

I love this post. I am a big ole bookworm, but I haven't alywas been one. I had trouble learning to read, when finally a teacher took extra time to help me learn. My Mom likes to say that I struggled a lot to read at first but once I learned they could never get me to stop. The Teacher that took that extra time to help me is still my absolute favorite and at 25 I still like to pop in and say hello. He is the Superintendent of our district these days.

June 24, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.:

I do have additional information regarding Joanna Ostrow.

November 1, 2015 at 4 p.m.:

Like others, I have wondered what happened to Ms. Ostrow. When we were very young over 60 years ago, we attended camp together for three or four summers.

November 2, 2015 at 9:29 a.m.:

For more information about the author's subsequent life, please email elibrary@santacruzpl.org or call 831-427-7713 and ask for Leslie.

January 30, 2016 at 8:49 a.m.:

This is the story a story of a young family who leaves their Edinburgh flat flat to go to the North Country to help elderly “relatives.” There are daily farm chores living on the croft, and local visitors. The English language is regularly infused with the Gaelic in the Scottish Highlands.

Questions arise when Jenny feels that there is something with the old folk that is not being said—a truth that is undercover and secret. As the reader we want to get to the bottom of it all. There is a bit of mystery regarding: Simon in the barn, the rat man, Michael and his saluki, and Collum’s silent way. It is not all sorted out with questions answered at the end. We see the story as an unfinished puzzle and say (as Mary often said), “Och, oh well”; and put on the kettle for tea and scones.

This book was an amusing romp through the Highlands with a steady dose of realism. The storytelling was so engaging and honest.