You Can Do That @ the Library?!
Get a Free Library Card
When you go into any branch with a photo ID and proof of your current Santa Cruz County address, you can get a free Library Card the first time you apply.
SCPL News & Announcements - Latest Posts
eBooks, Audiobooks, Movies, and more
Did you know? Library Board Member and County Supervisor Zach Friend recently wrote "What's (Digitally) New at the Library?", featuring some of the great digital content available at SCPL.
With your library card, you can check out:
- eBooks -- Many are familiar with OverDrive, but take a look at 3M Cloud Library, enki Library, and OneClickdigital. (See comparison chart below.)
- Audio books -- Try OneClickdigital, OverDrive, or hoopla. (See comparison chart below.)
- Movies and Television -- Look at hoopla for mainstream movies and tv, Access Video on Demand for documentaries, instructional and independent films, and IndieFlix features independent films of all lengths and styles. (See comparison chart below.)
- Magazines and news -- Browse or download magazines from Zinio, or access the archives of the newspapers listed here.
- Music -- Check out contemporary albums from hoopla, while Medici.tv features classical music programs and documentaries.
Find out more about these resources and other sites you can browse in Download Books or the Internet Resources area, under eBooks, Movies/TV/Theater, and Music. As always, those who prefer to check out DVDs, CDs and paper books can check the SCPL catalog.
Your library card also gives you access to a number of great online resources, whether you want to learn a language (try Mango Languages or Rosetta Stone), get homework help (see Online Learning for a variety of options), or find legal forms or information (LawDepot and the Legal Information Reference Center). Browse our Internet Resources area -- you'll be amazed at the variety of information you can find using just your library card and PIN!
New to digital materials?
The library is offering eBook and Audiobook classes in September and October!
- September 10th, 9am at the Scotts Valley Branch
- September 18th, 2pm at the Downtown Branch
- October 22nd, 9am at the Aptos Branch
- October 30th, 2pm at the Downtown Branch
- September 4th, 9am at the Scotts Valley Branch
- October 9th, 1pm at the Scotts Valley Branch
Check the calendar for the latest info on events and availability.
Too many options to decide? Here are some handy comparison charts: