You Can Do That @ the Library?!
Do your homework!
Get free help in person from our tutors, get live help online from Brainfuse, and visit our branch library homework centers. Check it out: http://www.santacruzpl.org/teens/.
SCPL News & Announcements - April 2014 Archive
Saturday May 17th
Join us for the Spring Book Sale hosted by The Friends of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries!
10-11am — Members only
11-3pm — Open to the Public
3-5pm — Bag Sale
Come browse thousands of books on Saturday, May 17th from outside the Downtown Branch.
Bring your family’s historical snapshots (from long ago or just last week) to our next Snapshot Stories event at The San Lorenzo Valley Museum. We are especially seeking images of the San Lorenzo Valley region; people, places or events. However, photos from all regions in Santa Cruz county are welcome! Your photos will be scanned and returned along with a free USB drive containing an electronic copy of all photos and a commemorative button!
Your images will become part of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries’ Local History Archive for the entire community to view online.
Let’s tell the world the unique story of our local and regional history!
Your Stories. Your Photos. Your History. Your Library.
More info? Contact the Program Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 427-7717.
SATURDAY • April 26, 2014 • 12pm- 4pm • San Lorenzo Valley Museum • 12547 Hwy 9 • Boulder Creek, CA
NEW Catalog LIVE NOW
Update: See below for a list of what we're working on.
Some of our online services may not yet be accessible as we continue to restore the connections between the new catalog and each online service. Mobile service via our app SCPL on the Go may take some time to reconfigure. We are working to restore all of these services as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.
Please note: During our update, your PIN may have been reset. If the PIN you were using is not working, try using the last 4 digits of your telephone number or 1234 if there is no phone on your account. Once you have logged in successfully, you can go to your Account and reset your PIN. See the new Account Tutorial for more information. If you are still having trouble, you can call or visit any Branch Library for assistance.
What we're working on:
|There are log-in issues with Discover & Go, 3M Cloud Library and Boopsie.||We are working with our vendors to get this resolved as soon as we can. Overdrive has already been fixed.
Fixed 4/17: Discover & Go, 3M Cloud Library, and Boopsie are now working.
|Checked out items displayed an incorrect number of renewals.||Fixed 4/11: We have reset all renewals and moving forward they will increment correctly.|
|Suspended item requests were flipped to Active.||Please request help from staff to get the status corrected, either in person at a branch or over the phone. You can reach Telephone Reference at 831-427-7713.|
|Lost books that have been paid for are still showing as lost in patron accounts.||This is fixed as of 4/24.|
|Noticing for overdues, bills, and holds for email and print were turned off during the migration to the new system.||Noticing was turned back on as of 4/11. We are monitoring to make sure things are working correctly.|
|Negative balances on your account may show on the Fines & Fees page as a credit. If you believe it is a legitimate credit, you can request a refund. More information can be found on the Overdue and Lost Items page.||We are working to correct the way this data is displayed. Fixed as of 4/21.|
|When lost items are returned, the items are not linking to the last borrower to clear counters and replacement bills.||The lost bill should be cleared and an overdue fee for the item is created. Fixed as of 5/5. Items that did not have their replacement fees cleared when the items were returned have been corrected.|
|In some cases if the pending item to fill a request was marked missing, the patron's queue position was reinstated at the bottom the list instead of retaining their current position of next in line.||Fixed as of 4/28.|
|Did you lose your lists? Saved lists and reading history from your account in the previous catalog were not migrated into the new system. However, we've recently created a pathway for staff to retrieve the contents of your saved lists by individual request.||To request the contents of your saved lists and reading history, please email eLibrary@santacruzpl.org.
Very Important: Your request must include the login information that was used in our previous system. We will need your library card number and PIN and/or custom username and password PIN number. Please allow up to 2 weeks for the retrieval of your lists.
How to Launch a Start-Up: Roadmap to Resources
"How to Launch a Start-Up" is a step by step 'idea to market' interactive lecture, and an actual roadmap to resources for the cost effective or free tools needed to launch a startup. These are customized to Santa Cruz County and laid out as simply as reading a map. The time will include a Q&A period and networking exchange for attendees to share resources.
The class is free of charge and registration is not required.
How to Launch a Start-Up
Monday, April 28, 2014 from 6-8pm
Downtown Branch Library
224 Church Street in Santa Cruz
Presenter Danielle Lanyard, Founder and CEO of Village Green is a lifelong activist, nonprofit professional, and a NYC-based serial entrepreneur who helps support and launch startups for social and ecological change. She has taught on startups, social enterprise, and triple bottom entrepreneurship at the New York Public Library's SIBL business branch, at the Foundation Center, and at General Assembly. She has developed a unique curriculum on how to launch a mission driven organization.
For more information, email email@example.com or call (831)427-7717.
ALERT! Limited Services April 3-9th / Servicios limitados de 3 al 9 de Abril
We hope you’ll pardon our limited services APRIL 3rd- 9th as we make further improvements. Santa Cruz Public Libraries is moving to a new integrated library system. An integrated library system is the engine of the library organization; it’s the software that drives everything, providing information and access to books, movies, music and digital resources.
This new software will give the library catalog a new look and offer additional Search and My Account features. We chose Polaris from a variety of competing products because we felt it offered the best array of features for our community. This transition to Polaris is the first step in a year long roll-out of technology improvements.
Everything you do at the library just got easier.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- NOW -April 3rd PREPARE by SAVING any lists or Reading History you would like to remember. Print or save independently (learn more in the List section of the My Account Tutorial). LISTS from MY ACCOUNT in the current catalog will NOT transfer to the new system.
- April 3rd @7pm Library Catalog goes down. NO ACCESS to MY ACCOUNT or SEARCH.
- April 4th-9th Branches are open regular hours, with no access to the catalog or my account. CHECK-OUTs will continue WITH YOUR LIBRARY CARD ONLY.
- April 4th-9th NO RETURNS PLEASE; refrain from returning library materials. Due dates and fines have been adjusted to allow for this break.
- April 4th-9th There will be LIMITED and possibly INTERMITTENT access to the WEBSITE and digital resources; databases, streaming video, ebooks, etc.
- April 9th BRANCHES WILL OPEN LATE. All Branches will open at 1pm on Wednesday, April 9th.
- April 10th Polaris GOES LIVE! Log-in using your library card number and default PIN (the last four digits of your telephone number). Create a new username if necessary, and password in the new MY ACCOUNT tab. Seach, borrow, request, enjoy!
- Ask a PERSON! Questions? Talk to a staff member or volunteer Tech Ambassador present in several branches after April 9th (schedule to follow). Or call 831-427-7713. Let us know what we’ve done well and what we can do better.
POLARIS Sistema Integrado de Bibleotecas
Esperamos ustedes disculpen nuestros servicios limitados de 3 al 9 de Abril mientras hacemos algunas mejoras. Las bibliotecas publicas de Santa Cruz están cambiando hacia un nuevo sistema integrado de bibliotecas. Un sistema integrado de bibliotecas es el motor de la organización de la biblioteca, es la aplicación que maneja todo, proporcionando información y acceso a libros, películas, música y recursos digitales.
Esta nueva aplicación le dará a es catalogo de la biblioteca una nueva imagen y ofrecerá características adicionales en Búsqueda y Mi Cuenta. Nosotros elegimos Polaris de una variedad de productos competidores porque sentimos que este ofrecía la mejor colección de características para nuestra comunidad. Esta transición a Polaris es el primer paso de lo que será un año completo de mejoras tecnológicas.
Todo lo que haces en la biblioteca es ahora más fácil.
Cosas importantes que debes saber:
- Desde hoy al 3 de Abril Prepárate Guardando cualquier lista o Historial de lecturasque te gustaría recordar. Imprime o guarda independientemente. Listas de Mi Cuenta en el catalogo actual no serán transferidas al nuevo sistema.
- 3 de Abril a la 7pm el Catalogo de la Biblioteca estará fuera de servicio. NO ACCESO a MI CUENTA O BUSQUEDA .
- Del 4 al 9 de Abril sucursales abiertas en horario regular sin acceso a el catalogo a mi cuenta. CHECK-OUTs continuarán solo con su tarjeta de la biblioteca..
- Del 4 al 9 de Abril No regresos por favor; Abstenerse de devolver los materiales de la biblioteca. Las fechas de vencimiento y las multas han sido ajustadas para permitir este receso.
- Del 4 al 9 de Abril Habrá acceso limitado y posible acceso intermitente a la pagina de internet y recursos digitales, bases de datos, vídeos, libros electrónicos, etc.
- El 9 de Abril Sucursales abrirán tarde. Todas las sucursales abrirán a la 1pm el miércoles, 9 de abril.
- 10 de Abril ¡Polaris va en directo! Accesa usando el numero de tu tarjeta de la biblioteca y default pin (los últimos cuatro dígitos de tu numero de teléfono). Crea un nuevo numero de usuario si es necesario, y clave en el nuevo My Account (mi cuenta). Busca, pide, disfruta!
- ¡Pregunta a una persona! Preguntas? Habla con un empleado o voluntario Tech Abassador presente en varias sucursales después del 9 de Abril (horario por venir). O llame al 831-427-7713. Háganos saber que hemos echo bien y que podemos mejorar.
Sayonara, Howie from the SCPL Sheet Music Collection
Our latest Sheet Music Video is a farewell in honor of staff member Howie Kimel's retirement. The song is "Sayonara," 1953, by Irving Berlin, and is performed by Heather Norquist on piano. The video features some of Howie's performances from previous Sheet Music Videos.
Find your song in our sheet music collection at http://sheetmusic.santacruzpl.org/.
The SCPL sheet music collection is housed at the Downtown Branch Library Reference Department. This collection is available for reference use and for viewing and/or copying.
View similarly tagged posts: Services
Posted by teeterj on April 1, 2014 at 9 a.m.