- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Libraries & Schools
- Felton Branch Library -- Faye G. Belardi Memorial, by Daniel McMahon
"The structure that is now the Felton Branch Library was built as the Presbyterian Church ..."
- The First Aptos Library, and How It Grew…, by Margaret Souza
"Many Aptos residents believe that “Helen’s” (Wikkerink) library, which began in 1944, was the first ..."
- The First Santa Cruz Carnegie Library: Photographs from the Library's Collection
"Four Santa Cruz libraries were built with grant money from the Carneige Corporation. The cornerstone ..."
- The Four Carnegie Libraries, 1903--1921, by Daniel McMahon
"The Santa Cruz Public Library (now Libraries) received four grants from the Carnegie Corporation, between ..."
- Heath Painting at the Downtown Branch Library
"The Santa Cruz Daily Surf reports on May 5, 1893 (p. 3) that:"
- History of the Garfield Park Library, 1914-1997, by Daniel McMahon
"The Garfield Park Branch Library, at 705 Woodrow Avenue, was one of four Carnegie Libraries ..."
- The History of the Santa Cruz Public Library System, by Margaret Souza
"The Santa Cruz City and County Public Library System had its origins early in 1868 ..."
- The Loma Prieta Earthquake & The Santa Cruz Public Libraries
"The magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit at 5:04 p.m. on October 17, 1989 and lasted 15 ..."
- The Whispering Man Statue at the Downtown Branch
"'The Whispering Man' statue stood in the Downtown Branch's lobby for several years from the ..."
- Chesnutwood's Business College
"An institution of which Santa Cruz is justly proud is Chesnutwood's Business College, a commercial ..."
- Chronological List of Santa Cruz County Public Schools, by Margaret Koch
"The following list is an attempt to give the reader an idea of the chronology ..."
- Education in the Summit Road Area: 1850-1906, by Stephen Michael Payne
"The devotion of the Summit settlers to their children's education was evidenced by the number ..."
- Our Schools, by Prof. G. A. Bond
"To the intelligent home-seeker there is nothing more important than the character of the schools. ..."
- Penny University, by Carmen Morones
"A trio of professors from the University of California at Santa Cruz started the Penny ..."
- School life at Santa Cruz High School circa 1912
"The Library's collection includes a handbook for Santa Cruz High School, printed in 1912 and ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
THE ACTIONS OF THE PAJARO PROPERTY PROTECTIVE SOCIETY
The advent of the Pajaro Property Protective Society on February 26, 1870, marked the beginning of a year long frenzy of vigilante activity, which was to shock and outrage that section of the citizenry which dwelt in ..." [More]
Excerpted from A Brief History of the Pajaro Property Protective Society: Vigilantism in the Pajaro Valley During 19th Century - Part 3 by Phil Reader