- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Libraries & Schools
- Felton Branch Library -- Faye G. Belardi Memorial, by Daniel McMahon
"The structure that is now the Felton Branch Library was built as the Presbyterian Church ..."
- The First Aptos Library, and How It Grew…, by Margaret Souza
"Many Aptos residents believe that “Helen’s” (Wikkerink) library, which began in 1944, was the first ..."
- The First Santa Cruz Carnegie Library: Photographs from the Library's Collection
"Four Santa Cruz libraries were built with grant money from the Carneige Corporation. The cornerstone ..."
- The Four Carnegie Libraries, 1903--1921, by Daniel McMahon
"The Santa Cruz Public Library (now Libraries) received four grants from the Carnegie Corporation, between ..."
- Heath Painting at the Downtown Branch Library
"The Santa Cruz Daily Surf reports on May 5, 1893 (p. 3) that:"
- History of the Garfield Park Library, 1914-1997, by Daniel McMahon
"The Garfield Park Branch Library, at 705 Woodrow Avenue, was one of four Carnegie Libraries ..."
- The History of the Santa Cruz Public Library System, by Margaret Souza
"The Santa Cruz City and County Public Library System had its origins early in 1868 ..."
- The Loma Prieta Earthquake & The Santa Cruz Public Libraries
"The magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit at 5:04 p.m. on October 17, 1989 and lasted 15 ..."
- The Whispering Man Statue at the Downtown Branch
"'The Whispering Man' statue stood in the Downtown Branch's lobby for several years from the ..."
- Chesnutwood's Business College
"An institution of which Santa Cruz is justly proud is Chesnutwood's Business College, a commercial ..."
- Chronological List of Santa Cruz County Public Schools, by Margaret Koch
"The following list is an attempt to give the reader an idea of the chronology ..."
- Education in the Summit Road Area: 1850-1906, by Stephen Michael Payne
"The devotion of the Summit settlers to their children's education was evidenced by the number ..."
- Our Schools, by Prof. G. A. Bond
"To the intelligent home-seeker there is nothing more important than the character of the schools. ..."
- Penny University, by Carmen Morones
"A trio of professors from the University of California at Santa Cruz started the Penny ..."
- School life at Santa Cruz High School circa 1912
"The Library's collection includes a handbook for Santa Cruz High School, printed in 1912 and ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
A Time to Reflect: 1945 to Present 
The Issei had come to the Pajaro Valley with dreams of a new land where they could prosper. Now, after the war, they and their children had to put the pieces of the broken dream back together.
According ..." [More]
Excerpted from Nihon Bunka/Japanese Culture: One Hundred Years in the Pajaro Valley by Jane W. Borg and Kathy McKenzie Nichols