- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Disasters & Calamities
- Shaky Morning in Santa Cruz: Quake Rattled Town in '06, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In 1989 AND in 1906, the Santa Cruz town clock stopped shortly after 5 when ..."
- Board of Directors for the Agency for Rebuilding Downtown Santa Cruz
"The rebuilding of earthquake damaged downtown Santa Cruz proceeded on Tuesday, Jan.9, 1990 with the ..."
- Loma Prieta Earthquake, October 17, 1989: Facts and Statistics
"The Loma Prieta Earthquake occurred on October 17, 1989 at 5:04 p.m. (Pacific Daylight Time) ..."
- Buildings Demolished in Downtown Santa Cruz as a Result of the Loma Prieta Earthquake, 1989
- Log of Emergency Response Operations
"The following Santa Cruz City log covers the first 22 hours after the 1989 Loma ..."
- The Loma Prieta Earthquake & The Santa Cruz Public Libraries
"The magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit at 5:04 p.m. on October 17, 1989 and lasted 15 ..."
- The Christmas Flood of '55: Gentle Rain Inundated Santa Cruz, by Ross Eric Gibson
"We are fortunate so far that the 1995 storms are nowhere near the disastrous floods ..."
- Factsheet for the 1955 and 1982 Santa Cruz City Floods
"The "Christmas Flood of '55" hit Santa Cruz, California, on the evening of December 22, ..."
- The History of Floods on the San Lorenzo River in the City of Santa Cruz, by Daniel McMahon
"The downtown area of the City of Santa Cruz has been located in the floodplain ..."
- Degree of Damage and Public Reaction to Floods, by Daniel McMahon
"In addition to quantitative measurements, (see Table) the public reaction as found in newspaper stories ..."
- Table of Floods: Recorded floods on the San Lorenzo River in the City Santa Cruz, by Daniel McMahon
- Floods and Flood Control on the San Lorenzo River in the City of Santa Cruz, by Daniel McMahon
"The San Lorenzo River drains a watershed of approximately 138 square miles, and drops from ..."
- Bibliography for the History of Floods on the San Lorenzo River in the City of Santa Cruz, by Daniel McMahon
- The Nature and History of Flooding in Soquel Village
"Flood waters have flowed in Soquel Village at least eight times since 1890 (see Table ..."
- San Lorenzo River, Boulder Creek - Felton: Past Floods
"Few records exist of past floods in the San Lorenzo Basin. However, damaging floods are ..."
- The Great Santa Cruz Fire of 1894, by Pamela Reynolds
"On Saturday night, April 14th, 1894, fire ripped nearly unchecked through part of downtown Santa ..."
- Pre-1989 Landslides and Landslide Hazard Mapping in the Summit Ridge Area of the Santa Cruz Mountains
"Landslides are known to have occurred in the Santa Cruz Mountains during both the October ..."
- Voices of the Heart: Memorial Poems from the Diphtheria Epidemic of 1876-78, by Phil Reader
"I first met Cora on a dark, rainy night during the month of December, 1992, ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
In order to appreciate the business climate in which this fortune was begun and expanded, it is necessary to understand the economic and demographic impact the Gold Rush had on the development of San Francisco and the whole of central California.
As John S. Hittel wrote in 1882:
Excerpted from The Gold Rush and the Early Years (1850-1865) by Laurie MacDougall