Browse Local History Topics
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Cultural Diversity
- Agricultural Legacy of Serbo-Croatian Community, by Ross Eric Gibson
"When the former Yugoslavia bleeds, Watsonville aches. The war is far away, in a region ..."
- Climbing Golden Mountain, by Geoffrey Dunn
"It is the summer of 1885 and three young children are peering into a barbershop ..."
- A Half-Century of Service: The Watsonville Japanese-American Citizens League, 1934-1984, by Sandy Lydon
"This short history of the Watsonville Japanese-American Citizens League has been prepared to commemorate the ..."
- Jewish Pioneers Played a Big Role in Santa Cruz, by Ross Eric Gibson
"This eve of the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana, is a good time to recall ..."
- To Know My Name: A Chronological History of African Americans in Santa Cruz County, by Phil Reader
"Americans of African lineage are a people whose historical legacy is of one bondage. Men ..."
- Nihon Bunka/Japanese Culture: One Hundred Years in the Pajaro Valley, by Jane W. Borg and Kathy McKenzie Nichols
"No records are known to exist that precisely pinpoint the date that the Japanese came ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
[This article is excerpted from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. 44-45. The maps, drawings, and photos of the manuscript are not included on this site. The manuscript is copyrighted 1996 by the author. It is used here with permission.]
Quarries, Tramways, Pulley ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon by Robert W. Piwarzyk