- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Crime & Public Safety
- Anthony Azoff and the Murder of Detective Len Harris, by Phil Reader
"Being an account of the attempted robbery of the Wells-Fargo Express Office in Boulder Creek, ..."
- A Brief History of the Pajaro Property Protective Society: Vigilantism in the Pajaro Valley During 19th Century, by Phil Reader
""No arrests: for nobody cares." "Horse Stealing - Hardly a night passes in Pajaro that ..."
- Bus Hijacking
"On August 17, 1977, Thomas Benton Wilson was arrested for hijacking a public bus in ..."
- "Charole"--The Life of Branciforte Bandido Faustino Lorenzana, by Phil Reader
"In 1885 a reporter for the Santa Cruz Sentinel asked ex-sheriff Charlie Lincoln who was ..."
- Copperheads, Secesh Men, and Confederate Guerillas: Pro-Confederate Activities in Santa Cruz County during the Civil War, by Phil Reader
"The secessionist movement and the civil war that followed divided not only the United states, ..."
- G. Brett Lytle, Professor of Languages, by Phil Reader
"The comic opera bandit, Dick Fellows, holds a special place in the literature of California ..."
- Hanging on the Water Street Bridge: A Santa Cruz Lynching, by Geoffrey Dunn
"By the time the sun rose on the morning of May 3, 1877, the two ..."
- Harlots and Whorehouses: Fallen Angels of Front Street, Part 1, by Phil Reader
"Practitioners of the world's oldest profession have always been found on the streets of Santa ..."
- Harlots and Whorehouses: Lust in the Valley of El Pajaro, Part 1, by Phil Reader
"The town of Watsonville sits nestled in a beautiful pastoral valley alongside the meandering Pajaro ..."
- History of Santa Cruz County Jails, by Craig R. Wilson
"The first reference to a jail in Santa Cruz was on Mission Hill where Emmett ..."
- Huey Newton Arrested in Santa Cruz County
"Famed Black Panther leader Huey Newton was arrested in Santa Cruz County on May 11, ..."
- More Than 100 Years of Service: A Brief History of the Santa Cruz Fire Department, by Jerry Ochoa
"In the city of Santa Cruz (California) of the 1850's, the downtown started seeing a ..."
- The Pilot Hose Company (1896)
"This organization has for fifteen years been a notable institution of Santa Cruz, and for ..."
- The Remarkable Good Order of Santa Cruz
"There is an impression abroad in the East--a hazy, vague impression, it is true, but ..."
- Santa Cruz City Chiefs of Police (List)
- Santa Cruz County Sheriffs (List)
- Serial Murders in Santa Cruz County, by Sharon Yamanaka
"In 1973,with the discovery of four bodies in Henry Cowell State Park, then District Attorney ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Frank Norris, author of McTeague and The Octopus, grew up in Oakland and San Francisco. He attended the University of California for four years, but failed to graduate because of poor grades in mathematics. After spending a year studying literature at Harvard, Norris left for South ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Santa Cruz Venetian Carnival by Frank Norris