- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Community Services
- History of the County's Emeline Street Complex
"This section provides a chronological history of the County Buildings housed at the Emeline Street ..."
- History of the Sewerage System of the City of Santa Cruz
""Santa Cruz was originally incorporated as a city in 1866 under a special act of ..."
- History of the Central Water District
"In 1949, local residents began meeting at Pleasant Valley School to discuss the dire shortage ..."
- History of the Santa Cruz City Water Department, by Santa Cruz City Water Department
""For Santa Cruz, the beginning of water supply development took place in 1792 when the ..."
- Introduction to the San Lorenzo Valley Water District
"The San Lorenzo Valley Water District (originally the San Lorenzo Valley County Water District) was ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Back in the days when the roads leading into town were dirt and narrow, a series of piers lined the coast. Like roots, these redwood structures connected ranchers, miners and loggers to bigger cities and the world. Some of the wharves remain, like the century-old pier in Capitola. Some don't, ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Days of the Sugar Pier: Aptos Wharf Once Stretched Quarter Mile from Shore by Mary Bryant