- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Unusual & Curious
- Birds "Invade" Santa Cruz, California, by Santa Cruz Sentinel and Wally Trabing
"The film, "The Birds", was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and was based on the story ..."
- Cowell Ghost, by Santa Cruz Sentinel
"On May 14, 1903, Sarah Agnes Cowell, the youngest daughter of Henry Cowell, was killed ..."
- The Mystery Spot, by Sharon Yamanaka
"The Mystery Spot has been a local Santa Cruz tourist attraction since 1940. During it's ..."
- Scotts Valley Area Curiosities, by Marion Dale Pokriots
"When ocean waters receded many eons ago, some interesting features were left exposed in the ..."
- The Tree Circus, by Sharon Yamanaka
"The Tree Circus started as a tourist attraction in Scotts Valley in 1947. It featured ..."
- Wax Reproduction of the Last Supper
"The life size wax figures of Jesus and his disciples at the last supper were ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Remains of a Prehistoric Sea
When ocean waters receded many eons ago, some interesting features were left exposed in the Santa Cruz Mountains, one of which is a ridge of high grade sand on the western edge of Scotts Valley. In the same vicinity, thousands of tiny shark's teeth ..." [More]
Excerpted from Scotts Valley Area Curiosities by Marion Dale Pokriots