- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Transportation
- 140 Years of Railroading in Santa Cruz County , by Rick Hamman
"In the summer of 1856 Davis & Jordon opened their horse powered railroad to haul ..."
- Chronology of Airport Development in Northern Santa Cruz County, by Santa Cruz City Council
- History of the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District, by Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District
"Public transportation in Santa Cruz County began in 1875 with inauguration of a single horsecar ..."
- History of the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District: Appendix with tables showing service changes and ridership totals, by Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District
- Stagecoach Days in the Mountains, by Stephen Michael Payne
"The roads over the Santa Cruz Mountains served not only the settlers and loggers living ..."
- Watsonville Municipal Airport
"Watsonville Municipal Airport is owned and operated by the City of Watsonville, and located in ..."
- Wells Fargo - Santa Cruz Location
"According to Ernest Otto, Santa Cruz journalist and historian, Wells Fargo was formerly located in ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Roads: The wealth of natural resources in Santa Cruz County was obvious to the first pioneers in the area. A major problem in developing these resources, however, was in bringing them out of the rugged and often inaccessible terrain to a point where they could be shipped. Another important ..." [More]
Excerpted from Transportation: Roads; Wharves and piers by Susan Lehmann