- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Transportation
- 140 Years of Railroading in Santa Cruz County , by Rick Hamman
"In the summer of 1856 Davis & Jordon opened their horse powered railroad to haul ..."
- Chronology of Airport Development in Northern Santa Cruz County, by Santa Cruz City Council
- History of the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District, by Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District
"Public transportation in Santa Cruz County began in 1875 with inauguration of a single horsecar ..."
- History of the Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District: Appendix with tables showing service changes and ridership totals, by Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District
- Stagecoach Days in the Mountains, by Stephen Michael Payne
"The roads over the Santa Cruz Mountains served not only the settlers and loggers living ..."
- Watsonville Municipal Airport
"Watsonville Municipal Airport is owned and operated by the City of Watsonville, and located in ..."
- Wells Fargo - Santa Cruz Location
"According to Ernest Otto, Santa Cruz journalist and historian, Wells Fargo was formerly located in ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
"Santa Cruz was originally incorporated as a city in 1866 under a special act of the State Legislature. With the construction of transportation facilities, Santa Cruz became an attraction to tourists because of its fine beaches and beautiful scenery. The San Jose-Capitola Turnpike, constructed about 1870, permitted easier ..." [More]
Excerpted from History of the Sewerage System of the City of Santa Cruz