- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Tourism
For more information on the tourist industry, see the section Making a Living.
- Capitola Hotel's Heyday, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In only 25 years, Capitola went from an 1869 campground to home of one of ..."
- Historical Memories Haunt Brookdale, by Ross Eric Gibson
"A girl in a formal dress runs across the lobby, then disappears into thin air. ..."
- Mountain Paradise, Mount Hermon has Bohemian Roots, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The hallowed grounds of Mount Hermon's Christian retreat have a colorful past. In 1841 the ..."
- Resorts in the Summit Road Area, 1850-1906, by Stephen Michael Payne
"Hotel de Redwood, the first hotel in the Summit area of the Santa Cruz Mountains, ..."
- Santa Cruz has a Long History of Convention Business, by Ross Eric Gibson
"With studies under way to possibly reintroduce the convention industry to Santa Cruz, it might ..."
- Sea Beach Hotel and Its Gardens were Equal Landmarks, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In the 1890s, the castle-like Sea Beach Hotel was listed among the state's top seven ..."
- The Spirit of Aptos: 116-Year-Old Hotel to Become Landmark, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The ghosts of the 116-year-old Aptos Bayview Hotel have been good hosts, only said to ..."
- The St. George was a Center of Culture and Art, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The original St. George Hotel rose out of the ashes of an 1894 fire, then ..."
- Vanished Resort's Glory Days Recalled, by Ross Eric Gibson
"An overgrown, two-tiered fountain near the south entrance to Ben Lomond stands as a relic ..."
- A First in Hot Bathing -- How a War and a Divorce Figured in the Birth of the Boardwalk in 1868, by Ross Eric Gibson
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: The 1904 Casino and Boardwalk
"Fred W. Swanton grew up in Santa Cruz and attended Heald's Business College in San ..."
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: The New Casino
"By October of 1906, Fred Swanton began construction of a new casino designed by local ..."
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: Visitor Accommodations
"Tent City was located on Beach Street, opposite the Casino. It provided less expensive accommodations ..."
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Survival of the Funnest, by Andrew Schiffrin
"Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica, Nu-Pike in Long Beach, Playland in San Francisco, Belmont ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
"For Santa Cruz, the beginning of water supply development took place in 1792 when the Padres of the Mission Santa Cruz directed the Mission's Indian residents to dig a ditch from the natural springs near the present University of Santa Cruz entrance to the Mission site. That ..." [More]
Excerpted from History of the Santa Cruz City Water Department by Santa Cruz City Water Department