- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Tourism
For more information on the tourist industry, see the section Making a Living.
- Capitola Hotel's Heyday, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In only 25 years, Capitola went from an 1869 campground to home of one of ..."
- Historical Memories Haunt Brookdale, by Ross Eric Gibson
"A girl in a formal dress runs across the lobby, then disappears into thin air. ..."
- Mountain Paradise, Mount Hermon has Bohemian Roots, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The hallowed grounds of Mount Hermon's Christian retreat have a colorful past. In 1841 the ..."
- Resorts in the Summit Road Area, 1850-1906, by Stephen Michael Payne
"Hotel de Redwood, the first hotel in the Summit area of the Santa Cruz Mountains, ..."
- Santa Cruz has a Long History of Convention Business, by Ross Eric Gibson
"With studies under way to possibly reintroduce the convention industry to Santa Cruz, it might ..."
- Sea Beach Hotel and Its Gardens were Equal Landmarks, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In the 1890s, the castle-like Sea Beach Hotel was listed among the state's top seven ..."
- The Spirit of Aptos: 116-Year-Old Hotel to Become Landmark, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The ghosts of the 116-year-old Aptos Bayview Hotel have been good hosts, only said to ..."
- The St. George was a Center of Culture and Art, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The original St. George Hotel rose out of the ashes of an 1894 fire, then ..."
- Vanished Resort's Glory Days Recalled, by Ross Eric Gibson
"An overgrown, two-tiered fountain near the south entrance to Ben Lomond stands as a relic ..."
- A First in Hot Bathing -- How a War and a Divorce Figured in the Birth of the Boardwalk in 1868, by Ross Eric Gibson
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: The 1904 Casino and Boardwalk
"Fred W. Swanton grew up in Santa Cruz and attended Heald's Business College in San ..."
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: The New Casino
"By October of 1906, Fred Swanton began construction of a new casino designed by local ..."
- Photographs of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Area: Visitor Accommodations
"Tent City was located on Beach Street, opposite the Casino. It provided less expensive accommodations ..."
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Survival of the Funnest, by Andrew Schiffrin
"Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica, Nu-Pike in Long Beach, Playland in San Francisco, Belmont ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
[The following article appeared in the Santa Cruz Evening News, September 14, 1921. pg. 3 col. 3. The photograph is from the Library's photograph collection.]
The idea of the Bango club originated at a meeting held in a room opening out of Mr. Effey's jewelry store on ..." [More]
Excerpted from Reminiscences of Old Bango Club by Thomas Dykes Beasley