- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Spanish Period & Earlier
See also Architecture
- The Fossil Sea Cow, by Frank Perry
"The skeleton is from a fossil sea cow (Dusisiren jordani) that lived in the Santa ..."
- An Overview of Ohlone Culture, by Robert Cartier
"In the 16th century, (prior to the arrival of the Spaniards), over 10,000 Indians lived ..."
- Some of the Stone Tools Found at the Scotts Valley Site, by Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst
"In 1991, Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst, along with other students in Field Methods in ..."
- Time Line for the Establishment of the Pueblo de Branciforte, by Phil Reader
"Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo and Bartolome Ferrelo, flying the flag of Spain, explore the west coast ..."
- "A Well Looking, Affable People... ": The Ohlone of Aulintak/Santa Cruz, by MaryEllen Ryan
"For thousands of years until a mere one hundred fifty years ago, Santa Cruz and ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica, Nu-Pike in Long Beach, Playland in San Francisco, Belmont Park in San Diego - the list of large beachfront amusement parks on the California coast that are now gone is a long one. One might have been forgiven for assuming that they would eventually ..." [More]
Excerpted from Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk: Survival of the Funnest by Andrew Schiffrin