- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Spanish Period & Earlier
See also Architecture
- The Fossil Sea Cow, by Frank Perry
"The skeleton is from a fossil sea cow (Dusisiren jordani) that lived in the Santa ..."
- An Overview of Ohlone Culture, by Robert Cartier
"In the 16th century, (prior to the arrival of the Spaniards), over 10,000 Indians lived ..."
- Some of the Stone Tools Found at the Scotts Valley Site, by Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst
"In 1991, Laurie C. Van De Werfhorst, along with other students in Field Methods in ..."
- Time Line for the Establishment of the Pueblo de Branciforte, by Phil Reader
"Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo and Bartolome Ferrelo, flying the flag of Spain, explore the west coast ..."
- "A Well Looking, Affable People... ": The Ohlone of Aulintak/Santa Cruz, by MaryEllen Ryan
"For thousands of years until a mere one hundred fifty years ago, Santa Cruz and ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
As a young man, he had cut hair for a number of years at a small barber shop in the farming community of Watsonville, California. As an old man, he cut hair at a shaving parlor on Railroad Avenue in Oakland. But in between he lived a life which ..." [More]
Excerpted from Oscar Thomas "O.T." Jackson by Phil Reader