- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Recreation & Sports
See also Making a LivingBaseball
- Field of Dreams: Santa Cruz County's Love Affair with Baseball, by Geoffrey Dunn
"1930 was a big year for professional baseball in Santa Cruz. Trying to spur the ..."
- Heroes and Villains: Santa Cruz County Produced Baseball Stars and Baseball Scandals, by Jim Johnson
"One died a well-respected Hall of Famer. The other died alone and full of regret. ..."
- Hometown Hardball: Local Baseball Heroes Went to Big Cities Bring Back Both Pride and Scandal, by Jim Johnson
"Before national league franchises, big-screen television, or $1 million commercials, there was hometown hardball. And, ..."
- Racing and Wheeling: Horse Racing and Bicycling in 1896
"Watsonville has never been, in any sense of the word, a sporting community. During the ..."
- History of the Santa Cruz Harbor, by Santa Cruz Port District
"The Santa Cruz Port District was formed in 1950 by election of the people for ..."
- San Lorenzo Once was Full of Fish: The River was Santa Cruz's No. 2 Tourist Draw, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Before flood-control measures were taken by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1959, the San ..."
- The Pogonip, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Today, as the city of Santa Cruz decides its fate, the famous Pogonip Clubhouse stands ..."
- Zoo in Santa Cruz, by Santa Cruz Sentinel
"A zoo was once a feature of the Pacheco area of Delaveaga Park beginning around ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
[Excerpted from: Annual Report, San Lorenzo Valley Water District. 1984-85, pp. 1-2.]
The San Lorenzo Valley Water District (originally the San Lorenzo Valley County Water District) was formed by a special election of the residents of Santa Cruz County on April 3rd, 1941. At that time ..." [More]
Excerpted from Introduction to the San Lorenzo Valley Water District