- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Recreation & Sports
See also Making a LivingBaseball
- Field of Dreams: Santa Cruz County's Love Affair with Baseball, by Geoffrey Dunn
"1930 was a big year for professional baseball in Santa Cruz. Trying to spur the ..."
- Heroes and Villains: Santa Cruz County Produced Baseball Stars and Baseball Scandals, by Jim Johnson
"One died a well-respected Hall of Famer. The other died alone and full of regret. ..."
- Hometown Hardball: Local Baseball Heroes Went to Big Cities Bring Back Both Pride and Scandal, by Jim Johnson
"Before national league franchises, big-screen television, or $1 million commercials, there was hometown hardball. And, ..."
- Racing and Wheeling: Horse Racing and Bicycling in 1896
"Watsonville has never been, in any sense of the word, a sporting community. During the ..."
- History of the Santa Cruz Harbor, by Santa Cruz Port District
"The Santa Cruz Port District was formed in 1950 by election of the people for ..."
- San Lorenzo Once was Full of Fish: The River was Santa Cruz's No. 2 Tourist Draw, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Before flood-control measures were taken by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1959, the San ..."
- The Pogonip, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Today, as the city of Santa Cruz decides its fate, the famous Pogonip Clubhouse stands ..."
- Zoo in Santa Cruz, by Santa Cruz Sentinel
"A zoo was once a feature of the Pacheco area of Delaveaga Park beginning around ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
The film, "The Birds", was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and was based on the story of the same name by Daphne du Maurier. The film was released in 1963. Two years earlier, a real life "invasion" of birds occurred in Santa Cruz. The event was reported in the Santa Cruz ..." [More]
Excerpted from Birds "Invade" Santa Cruz, California by Santa Cruz Sentinel and Wally Trabing