- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Places
"...out of Santa Cruz one must expect to encounter many disagreeable things that one has entirely forgotten the existence of [while] in that delightful spot." --Eliza Farnham. California In-doors and Out, 1856.
See other places in Architecture and read about Chinatown in Making a Living
- Aptos History: A Look Back at Centuries of Mid-County History, by John Hibble
"Aptos History: A Look Back at Centuries of Mid-County History"
- The Big Basin, by Eloise J. Roorbach
"Our forest reserves are becoming more and more appreciated - not only because of their ..."
- Bonny Doon Property Owners Map of 1905
"[The following information is taken from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. ..."
- Coast Dairies Property: A Land Use History
"Excerpt from Coast Dairies Long-Term Resource Protection and Use Plan: Draft Exiting Conditions Report for ..."
- De La Cruz Beach
""De La Cruz Beach...is planned for a 950-acre ranch north of Santa Cruz, in an ..."
- Early History of Davenport, by Alverda Orlando
"Davenport was founded in 1868. The original town was about a mile to the north ..."
- The Early Years: Rio Del Mar and Aptos, by Allen Collins
""Rio Del Mar" (River to the Sea) was coined as a rhythmic, catchy place-name in ..."
- The Home Ranch of the Cowells, by Josephine Clifford McCrackin
"The Gate through which we drove had been put up in 1854, and every pointed ..."
- Human Uses of the San Lorenzo River Watershed
"Blessed with a picturesque mountain setting, abundant natural resources, and an equitable climate, the San ..."
- National Guard Training Site--Camp McQuaide, by Carmen Morones
"The National Guard training site for the 250th Coast Artillery Regiment was established in Capitola ..."
- National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form for the Mission Hill Area Historic District
"Mission Hill is the birthplace of Santa Cruz, the first permanent European settlement in Santa ..."
- Notes on the History of Williams Mill and Williams Landing in Bonny Doon, California, by Paul Tutwiler
- Old Riverview Avenue Historic District of Capitola
"he incorporated City of Capitola is located along the Pacific coast of Santa Cruz County. ..."
- Photo Gallery of Pacific Avenue: Photographs and post cards from the Santa Cruz Public Libraries' collection.
"This photo shows the junction of Pacific Avenue and Front Street around 1866. At that ..."
- Rafael Castro's Rancho Aptos was Oldest Land Grant to Remain Under Mexican Ownership, by Jim Johnson
"Santa Cruz County, like California, underwent a massive transformation in the mid-19th century as the ..."
- Reminiscences of Seabright: Excerpts, by Elizabeth M.C. Forbes
"In Seabright, near Santa Cruz, lives Miss Forbes, a cousin of Sir Archibald Forbes, who ..."
- The Rise and Fall of Holy City, by John V. Young
"Holy City, on the old Santa Cruz Highway a little north of the Summit, was ..."
- The Roads of Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
"A road network usually evolved as a means of opening up an area to residential, ..."
- Santa Cruz Owes Site to Spud Rush, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The clock tower marks the heart of Santa Cruz. But this is hardly an ideal ..."
- A Sea-Port on the Pacific, by Mary Hallock Foote
"The whitish-gray sandstone cliffs rise above the breakers to the level of the breezy plain ..."
- Skyland and Highland, by John V. Young
"An attempt to find a name signifying a place higher than high accounts for the ..."
- A Southern Pacific Advertisement, 1901--Colonist Tickets Will Be Sold to California
"In the Library's collection of historical pamphlets is an Advertisement from the Southern Pacific railroad ..."
- The Spreckels Era in Rio Del Mar, 1872--1922, by Allen Collins
"The ranch lands Claus Spreckels purchased in 1872 for about $8l,000 comprised almost all of ..."
- West Cliff -- Millionaires' Row, by Ross Eric Gibson
"At the turn of the century, Santa Cruz was called the "Newport of the Pacific," ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
The following collection of "verse" appeared in the local press during the Diphtheria epidemic of the late 1870s. They were abstracted from the Santa Cruz Sentinel, the Santa Cruz Courier-Item , the Santa Cruz Local Item , and the Watsonville Pajaronian. Those were the only journals which were being ..." [More]
Excerpted from Voices of the Heart: Memorial Poems by Phil Reader