- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Places
"...out of Santa Cruz one must expect to encounter many disagreeable things that one has entirely forgotten the existence of [while] in that delightful spot." --Eliza Farnham. California In-doors and Out, 1856.
See other places in Architecture and read about Chinatown in Making a Living
- Aptos History: A Look Back at Centuries of Mid-County History, by John Hibble
"Aptos History: A Look Back at Centuries of Mid-County History"
- The Big Basin, by Eloise J. Roorbach
"Our forest reserves are becoming more and more appreciated - not only because of their ..."
- Bonny Doon Property Owners Map of 1905
"[The following information is taken from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. ..."
- Coast Dairies Property: A Land Use History
"Excerpt from Coast Dairies Long-Term Resource Protection and Use Plan: Draft Exiting Conditions Report for ..."
- De La Cruz Beach
""De La Cruz Beach...is planned for a 950-acre ranch north of Santa Cruz, in an ..."
- Early History of Davenport, by Alverda Orlando
"Davenport was founded in 1868. The original town was about a mile to the north ..."
- The Early Years: Rio Del Mar and Aptos, by Allen Collins
""Rio Del Mar" (River to the Sea) was coined as a rhythmic, catchy place-name in ..."
- The Home Ranch of the Cowells, by Josephine Clifford McCrackin
"The Gate through which we drove had been put up in 1854, and every pointed ..."
- Human Uses of the San Lorenzo River Watershed
"Blessed with a picturesque mountain setting, abundant natural resources, and an equitable climate, the San ..."
- National Guard Training Site--Camp McQuaide, by Carmen Morones
"The National Guard training site for the 250th Coast Artillery Regiment was established in Capitola ..."
- National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form for the Mission Hill Area Historic District
"Mission Hill is the birthplace of Santa Cruz, the first permanent European settlement in Santa ..."
- Notes on the History of Williams Mill and Williams Landing in Bonny Doon, California, by Paul Tutwiler
- Old Riverview Avenue Historic District of Capitola
"he incorporated City of Capitola is located along the Pacific coast of Santa Cruz County. ..."
- Photo Gallery of Pacific Avenue: Photographs and post cards from the Santa Cruz Public Libraries' collection.
"This photo shows the junction of Pacific Avenue and Front Street around 1866. At that ..."
- Rafael Castro's Rancho Aptos was Oldest Land Grant to Remain Under Mexican Ownership, by Jim Johnson
"Santa Cruz County, like California, underwent a massive transformation in the mid-19th century as the ..."
- Reminiscences of Seabright: Excerpts, by Elizabeth M.C. Forbes
"In Seabright, near Santa Cruz, lives Miss Forbes, a cousin of Sir Archibald Forbes, who ..."
- The Rise and Fall of Holy City, by John V. Young
"Holy City, on the old Santa Cruz Highway a little north of the Summit, was ..."
- The Roads of Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
"A road network usually evolved as a means of opening up an area to residential, ..."
- Santa Cruz Owes Site to Spud Rush, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The clock tower marks the heart of Santa Cruz. But this is hardly an ideal ..."
- A Sea-Port on the Pacific, by Mary Hallock Foote
"The whitish-gray sandstone cliffs rise above the breakers to the level of the breezy plain ..."
- Skyland and Highland, by John V. Young
"An attempt to find a name signifying a place higher than high accounts for the ..."
- A Southern Pacific Advertisement, 1901--Colonist Tickets Will Be Sold to California
"In the Library's collection of historical pamphlets is an Advertisement from the Southern Pacific railroad ..."
- The Spreckels Era in Rio Del Mar, 1872--1922, by Allen Collins
"The ranch lands Claus Spreckels purchased in 1872 for about $8l,000 comprised almost all of ..."
- West Cliff -- Millionaires' Row, by Ross Eric Gibson
"At the turn of the century, Santa Cruz was called the "Newport of the Pacific," ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
[This article is excerpted from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. 44-45. The maps, drawings, and photos of the manuscript are not included on this site. The manuscript is copyrighted 1996 by the author. It is used here with permission.]
Quarries, Tramways, Pulley ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon by Robert W. Piwarzyk