- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - People
- Old Soldiers: Santa Cruz County Civil War Veterans, by Robert L. Nelson
- A Walk Through Time: A Historical Guide to Santa Cruz Memorial Park, by Janet Krassow and Randy Krassow
- Uncle Dave's Story: The Life of Ex-Slave Dave Boffman, by Phil Reader
"For thirty-six years he lived quietly on a small homestead which was located atop a ..."
- Henry Cowell and His Family (1819--1955): Introduction, by Laurie MacDougall
"The S. H. Cowell Foundation is named after Samuel Henry Cowell,"
- The Gold Rush and the Early Years (1850-1865), by Laurie MacDougall
"In order to appreciate the business climate in which this fortune was begun and expanded, ..."
- Lime and the Lime Business, by Laurie MacDougall
"In order to understand the development of the Cowell business, it is essential to know ..."
- The Santa Cruz Years (1865-1897), by Laurie MacDougall
"By 1865, Henry was in control of a thriving business in San Francisco, with significant ..."
- The Tragic Year (1903), by Laurie MacDougall
"The year 1903 was fateful for the Cowells. Henry Cowell was shot in the shoulder ..."
- The S. H. Cowell Years (1911-1955), by Laurie MacDougall
"There were now three surviving members of the Cowell family, S. H., Isabella and Helen. ..."
- Notes and Research Bibliography, by Laurie MacDougall
- DeLaveaga Left His Fortune for Parks and for Charity, by Ross Eric Gibson
"De Laveaga Park could be called the Golden Gate Park of Santa Cruz. Sitting on ..."
- The Death of a Poet, by Geoffrey Dunn
"A great American poet is dead. William "Bill" Everson, known during much of his career ..."
- A Personal Memory of Bill Everson, by Geoffrey Dunn
"Autumn, 1975. Kresge College, UCSC. Hot, auspicious. You remember the way he moved, the shuffle ..."
- Mary Hallock Foote, Writer and Illustrator. 1847-1938, by Edna E. Kimbro
"Two weeks after her marriage in 1876, Mary Hallock Foote reluctantly journeyed west with her ..."
- Landmark that Grew Up: Hard Childhood Served Charles Ford Well, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Many a heart was broken on Valentine's Day when the flagship Charles Ford & Co. ..."
- Judge Gally
"James Wellesley Gally was born December 8, 1828, at Wheeling, West Virginia. He studied medicine, ..."
- My Early Childhood Memories, by Sarah Hinton Gourley
"Sarah Hinton Gourley (1849-1940) was seven years old when she arrived in Santa Cruz in ..."
- Laura J. F. Hecox, by Frank Perry
"From 1869 to 1941 the federal government maintained a white, two-story lighthouse at Santa Cruz. ..."
- Oscar Thomas "O.T." Jackson, by Phil Reader
"As a young man, he had cut hair for a number of years at a ..."
- Annie M. McCaskill, by Rechs Ann Pedersen
"Annie M. McCaskill, "Woman of Achievement," "Woman of the Year", was a Santa Cruz businesswoman ..."
- Josephine Clifford McCrackin, by Stephen Michael Payne
"In October and November 1880 a writer, Josephine Wompner Clifford, purchased a total of twenty-six ..."
- Mountain Charley, by John V. Young
"Most colorful of Santa Cruz Mountain characters of the pioneer days was Mountain Charley McKiernan, ..."
- Silent Charley-- Charley Parkhurst, by John V. Young
"The stage for Santa Cruz, on Thursday last, containing eight or nine passengers, upset about ..."
- ZaSu Pitts: Actress 1898-1963, by Barbara Giffen
"A career actress who successfully made the transition from silent movies to talking pictures to ..."
- ZaSu Pitts Photo Gallery
"ZaSu Pitts grew up in Santa Cruz. In her book, "Candy Hits" she recalled..."
- Tom Jefferson Scribner, 1899--1982
"On the 1500 block of Pacific Avenue sits a bronze sculpture of an elderly man ..."
- 1001 Stagnaros, by Geoffrey Dunn
"One of Robert "Big Boy" Stagnaro's earliest childhood memories is of a small hole next ..."
- Mintie White, Teacher, 1850-1937, by Margaret Koch
"In Watsonville there is an elementary school named for a teacher who once said, "I ..."
- Pioneer Spirit: A History of the Winterhalder Family in Santa Cruz County, by Geoffrey Dunn
"Well into his ninth decade, George Lyle Winterhalder still has a sparkle in his eyes ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Early Tenants of the Carmelita Cottages
Why and exactly when the name Carmelita Cottages emerged has not yet been discovered. The name was first applied in the singular to the Dame property. An undated turn of the century (no earlier than 1890) photograph shows the Carmelita Cottage name ..." [More]
Excerpted from Early History of the Carmelita Cottages: The Tenants by Rick Hyman