- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - People
- Old Soldiers: Santa Cruz County Civil War Veterans, by Robert L. Nelson
- A Walk Through Time: A Historical Guide to Santa Cruz Memorial Park, by Janet Krassow and Randy Krassow
- Uncle Dave's Story: The Life of Ex-Slave Dave Boffman, by Phil Reader
"For thirty-six years he lived quietly on a small homestead which was located atop a ..."
- Henry Cowell and His Family (1819--1955): Introduction, by Laurie MacDougall
"The S. H. Cowell Foundation is named after Samuel Henry Cowell,"
- The Gold Rush and the Early Years (1850-1865), by Laurie MacDougall
"In order to appreciate the business climate in which this fortune was begun and expanded, ..."
- Lime and the Lime Business, by Laurie MacDougall
"In order to understand the development of the Cowell business, it is essential to know ..."
- The Santa Cruz Years (1865-1897), by Laurie MacDougall
"By 1865, Henry was in control of a thriving business in San Francisco, with significant ..."
- The Tragic Year (1903), by Laurie MacDougall
"The year 1903 was fateful for the Cowells. Henry Cowell was shot in the shoulder ..."
- The S. H. Cowell Years (1911-1955), by Laurie MacDougall
"There were now three surviving members of the Cowell family, S. H., Isabella and Helen. ..."
- Notes and Research Bibliography, by Laurie MacDougall
- DeLaveaga Left His Fortune for Parks and for Charity, by Ross Eric Gibson
"De Laveaga Park could be called the Golden Gate Park of Santa Cruz. Sitting on ..."
- The Death of a Poet, by Geoffrey Dunn
"A great American poet is dead. William "Bill" Everson, known during much of his career ..."
- A Personal Memory of Bill Everson, by Geoffrey Dunn
"Autumn, 1975. Kresge College, UCSC. Hot, auspicious. You remember the way he moved, the shuffle ..."
- Mary Hallock Foote, Writer and Illustrator. 1847-1938, by Edna E. Kimbro
"Two weeks after her marriage in 1876, Mary Hallock Foote reluctantly journeyed west with her ..."
- Landmark that Grew Up: Hard Childhood Served Charles Ford Well, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Many a heart was broken on Valentine's Day when the flagship Charles Ford & Co. ..."
- Judge Gally
"James Wellesley Gally was born December 8, 1828, at Wheeling, West Virginia. He studied medicine, ..."
- My Early Childhood Memories, by Sarah Hinton Gourley
"Sarah Hinton Gourley (1849-1940) was seven years old when she arrived in Santa Cruz in ..."
- Laura J. F. Hecox, by Frank Perry
"From 1869 to 1941 the federal government maintained a white, two-story lighthouse at Santa Cruz. ..."
- Oscar Thomas "O.T." Jackson, by Phil Reader
"As a young man, he had cut hair for a number of years at a ..."
- Annie M. McCaskill, by Rechs Ann Pedersen
"Annie M. McCaskill, "Woman of Achievement," "Woman of the Year", was a Santa Cruz businesswoman ..."
- Josephine Clifford McCrackin, by Stephen Michael Payne
"In October and November 1880 a writer, Josephine Wompner Clifford, purchased a total of twenty-six ..."
- Mountain Charley, by John V. Young
"Most colorful of Santa Cruz Mountain characters of the pioneer days was Mountain Charley McKiernan, ..."
- Silent Charley-- Charley Parkhurst, by John V. Young
"The stage for Santa Cruz, on Thursday last, containing eight or nine passengers, upset about ..."
- ZaSu Pitts: Actress 1898-1963, by Barbara Giffen
"A career actress who successfully made the transition from silent movies to talking pictures to ..."
- ZaSu Pitts Photo Gallery
"ZaSu Pitts grew up in Santa Cruz. In her book, "Candy Hits" she recalled..."
- Tom Jefferson Scribner, 1899--1982
"On the 1500 block of Pacific Avenue sits a bronze sculpture of an elderly man ..."
- 1001 Stagnaros, by Geoffrey Dunn
"One of Robert "Big Boy" Stagnaro's earliest childhood memories is of a small hole next ..."
- Mintie White, Teacher, 1850-1937, by Margaret Koch
"In Watsonville there is an elementary school named for a teacher who once said, "I ..."
- Pioneer Spirit: A History of the Winterhalder Family in Santa Cruz County, by Geoffrey Dunn
"Well into his ninth decade, George Lyle Winterhalder still has a sparkle in his eyes ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
To hesitate, is to be lost. I wanted to claim that this beautiful home belonged to Santa Cruz; hesitated a moment, and then decided to tell the truth.
Pino Alto is only a short distance from Santa Cruz, and was built where Mrs. Sesnon had passed her childhood days, near ..." [More]
Excerpted from Pino Alto: County Home of the William T. Sesnon Family by Josephine Clifford McCrackin