- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Making a Living
- Berry Growing Business in 1896
"The cultivation of strawberries, which has become such a large and extensive business here, had ..."
- Dairying in Santa Cruz, by Isabel H. Raymond
"Among the astonishingly varied resources of the tract of country known as Santa Cruz County,-a ..."
- The Hall that Apples Built, by Ross Eric Gibson
"At 2 1/2 million boxes of apples in 1909, the Pajaro Valley was producing and ..."
- History of Poultry Raising Industry in Santa Cruz
"Large oaks from little acorns grow, a true and an oft repeated saying, applies in ..."
- A History of Wine Making in the Santa Cruz Mountains, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Santa Cruz was the birthplace of California's temperance movement. But beyond the whiskey-induced revelries of ..."
- Planting Potatoes, by Eliza W. Farnham
"The great labor of seed-time, in which Geordie and I had yet to bear our ..."
- Shippers and Shipments of Apples [in 1894-95]
"As the Pajaro Valley Fruit Exchange is, like a single American coin, but "one of ..."
- The Western Beet Sugar Company
"The making of beet sugar is preeminently the industry of Watsonville. Some years ago Claus ..."
- Overview, by Susan Lehmann
"Years before the gold rush of 1849 brought about the transformation of California, several American ..."
- Industrial Development: Lumber, Lime and cement, Fishing, by Susan Lehmann
"The enormous stands of virgin timber found in what would become Santa Cruz County attracted ..."
- Industrial Development: Tanneries, by Susan Lehmann
"The Santa Cruz County tanning industry had its start [in] 1843 when Paul Sweet built ..."
- Resort and Recreation Development: Waterfront, beach, and boardwalk, by Susan Lehmann
"The late 1800s brought a major change in the economic base of Santa Cruz County. ..."
- Resort and Recreation Development: Surfing, other recreational sites, by Susan Lehmann
"Although the Boardwalk was the primary commercial endeavor to capitalize on tourism at the beach, ..."
- Commercial Development: Downtown business; Residential development, by Susan Lehmann
"As discussed in an earlier section, the Santa Cruz Mission and its satellite properties (including ..."
- Commercial Development: Chinatown, by Susan Lehmann
"Chinatown -- Although no traces remain, there is curiosity among many Santa Cruz residents about ..."
- Transportation: Roads; Wharves and piers, by Susan Lehmann
"The wealth of natural resources in Santa Cruz County was obvious to the first pioneers ..."
- Transportation: Railroads and Streetcars, by Susan Lehmann
"Like so many isolated communities of the west, the City of Santa Cruz owes much ..."
- Gold Mining in Santa Cruz County
"Auriferous beach sands are found for miles along the coast of Santa Cruz County, and ..."
- The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
"The purpose of this informal group is to study, understand, and teach the history of ..."
- Lime, by Henry G. Hubbard
"The burning of lime was one of the earliest industries established in Santa Cruz County, ..."
- Limestone, by Henry G. Hubbard
"This company was organized in 1922 and took over the old Caplatzi quarry which had ..."
- Mineral Survey of Santa Cruz County - Introduction, by C. McK. Laizure
"In an effort to develop the industrial future of Santa Cruz, and recogniz[ing] the importance ..."
- Stone Industry: Crushed Rock, Sand and Gravel , by Henry G. Hubbard
"Except at the plant of the Pacific Limestone Products Company [more information in the article ..."
- Ansel Adams Photographs of the Salz Tannery - 1955
"Ansel Adams and Ansley Salz, the owner of the Salz tannery, were longtime friends."
- The California Powder Works
"The California Powder Works, situated on the San Lorenzo River two and a half miles ..."
- The California Powder Works & San Lorenzo Paper Mill, by Barry Brown
"The first Europeans to set foot in the Monterey Bay area, the sole domain of ..."
- Felling the Giants, by Stephen Michael Payne
"The first redwood tree (Sequoia Sempervirens) seen by a white man was on the Corrallitos ..."
- Leather with Personality [A.K. Salz Company], by D.S. Marston
"An experienced tanner, using the palm reader's clairvoyance in reverse, can study the lines and ..."
- Salz Leathers Folds Up Shop: Landmark Business to Close this Year, by Heather Boerner
"One of the county's oldest businesses, 145-year-old Salz Leathers, will close by the end of ..."
- Salz Leathers History
"Timeline of Salz Leathers tannery"
- San Lorenzo Tannery (1896)
"The manufacture of a superior quality of leather has long been one of the specialties ..."
- A Santa Cruz Laundry (1896)
"I have been poking my nose into all sorts of business places for a good ..."
- The Santa Cruz Wharf, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The 80-year-old Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf has been undergoing its first face lift in 30 ..."
- Whales Along the Coast of Davenport, by Alverda Orlando
"From the Davenport area you can view the annual southern migration of the California gray ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Frank Norris, author of McTeague and The Octopus, grew up in Oakland and San Francisco. He attended the University of California for four years, but failed to graduate because of poor grades in mathematics. After spending a year studying literature at Harvard, Norris left for South ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Santa Cruz Venetian Carnival by Frank Norris