- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - In the 20th Century
- The Great White Fleet Visits Santa Cruz, by Rechs Ann Pedersen
"The Great White Fleet, so-called because the ships were painted white, was a United States ..."
- Miss Santa Cruz County, by Santa Cruz Sentinel
- Pope John Paul II's Visit to Monterey Bay Area
- Notes on the 1906 Aerial Panorama of Santa Cruz by George Lawrence, by Peter Nurkse
- Too Much Makeup, Too Much Skin: Pageant Protests Go Back to 1924, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Today the Miss California Pageant emphasizes its scholarship"
- WPA Projects in Santa Cruz County
"The Works Progress Administration (1935-1943) was a U.S. government agency created during the Great Depression ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Although local citizens may forget the benefits of the tourism industry when enduring the snarled weekend traffic and congested beaches, it is a major contributor to Santa Cruz County's economic health. It has always been -- and will continue to be -- a major financial artery for the county.
Fittingly, ..." [More]
Excerpted from A Walk Through Time: Fred Swanton by Janet Krassow and Randy Krassow