- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - In the 19th Century
- Notes on the 1889 Map of Santa Cruz County by A. J. Hatch, by Peter Nurkse
- Church Groups Found a Haven in Santa Cruz in the 1800s, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Few people on the central coast realize they are living on holy ground, in areas ..."
- Crusading Women: Santa Cruz was a Hotbed of Suffrage Fight, by Ross Eric Gibson
"Women were granted the right to vote 75 years ago under the 19th amendment, but ..."
- An Excursion up the Coast, by Eliza W. Farnham
"Eliza W. Farnham, who promoted social reform, became matron of the women's section of Sing ..."
- A Howling Wilderness: The Summit Road Area - Santa Cruz Mountains, by Stephen Michael Payne
"Situated between the Town of Los Gatos and the City of Santa Cruz, in the ..."
- Journey to San Francisco, by Eliza W. Farnham
"We had been but little more than a month settled before it became necessary for ..."
- Reminiscences of Old Bango Club, by Thomas Dykes Beasley
"The idea of the Bango club originated at a meeting held in a room opening ..."
- Susan B. Anthony's Visit to Santa Cruz, by Rechs Ann Pedersen
"The announcement of Susan B. Anthony's upcoming speech appeared in the Sentinel on August 5, ..."
- The Santa Cruz Venetian Carnival, by Frank Norris
"There was a glare of sunshine, and the air had a different"
- Water Carnival was Social Event of the Season in 1890s, by Ross Eric Gibson
"In 1894, fire gutted the heart of downtown Santa Cruz north and south of Cooper ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
A great American poet is dead.
William "Bill" Everson, known during much of his career as the Dominican monk Brother Antoninus, passed away June 3  at his rustic cabin he dubbed Kingfisher Flat, just north of Santa Cruz on the California Coast. He was 81.
An internationally acclaimed literary ..." [More]
Excerpted from The Death of a Poet by Geoffrey Dunn