- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Architecture
- History of the Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, by City of Santa Cruz
"A history of the Civic Auditorium building in Santa Cruz."
- Bridges Span Santa Cruz's Past: From Felton's Covered Redwood Span to West Cliff Drive's Iron Landmark, by Ross Eric Gibson
"The early evolution of bridge construction in Santa Cruz shows a progression of problem-solving and ..."
- Covered Bridges, by John V. Young
"Santa Cruz County has the most covered bridges still standing of any county in the ..."
- The Soquel Avenue Bridge, by City of Santa Cruz Public Works Department
"There have been several bridges previously located at this site. In 1874 a covered bridge ..."
- Water Street Bridge Fact Sheet, by City of Santa Cruz Public Works Department
"The Water Street Bridge Rehabilitation Project involved the removal and replacement of the northern half ..."
- Calreta Court/ Piedmont Court - 260 High Street, by Margaret Koch
"This impressive Mission Revival apartment house was built in 1912 with William Bray as architect. ..."
- Construction Chronology of the Site of Holy Cross Church, Santa Cruz, Calfornia, by Edna E. Kimbro
"New construction activities on the site of Holy Cross Church are expected to involve considerable ..."
- Court of the Mysteries; Brothers Build Unusual Old Yoga Temple, by Ross Eric Gibson
"It's always a surprise to discover the Fair Avenue ruins of an old yoga temple ..."
- The Flatiron Building, Pacific Avenue and Front Street, by Margaret Koch
"Hugo Hihn, brother of Frederick A. Hihn, had the Flatiron Building constructed in 1859-60, of ..."
- Garfield Park Tabernacle and Garfield Park Christian Church, 30 Errett Circle, Santa Cruz, California , by Daniel McMahon
"This photo is believed to be from the dedication of the tabernacle on Aug. 31, ..."
- The Golden Gate Villa, by Susan Dormanen
"From any portion of the city can be seen a magnificent villa whose turrets and ..."
- History of the Carmelita Cottages, by Rick Hyman
- The History of the Santa Cruz Courthouse, by Margaret Souza
"Santa Cruz County has had five courthouses since its formation on February 18, 1850, and ..."
- Howden's Castle, by Margaret Koch
"Robert Howden's Ben Lomond home was his castle, and his stone castle was his home. ..."
- Institutions in Santa Cruz County -- 1850-1950, by Susan Lehmann
"In the development of the West, the transition from frontier outpost to city or town ..."
- The Octagon, by Margaret Koch
"On March 11, 1882, the Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors began advertising for plans ..."
- Oldest Existing Building in Santa Cruz
"The School Street Adobe, also called Neary-Rodriguez Adobe, is the oldest existing building in Santa ..."
- Pino Alto: County Home of the William T. Sesnon Family, by Josephine Clifford McCrackin
"To hesitate, is to be lost. I wanted to claim that this beautiful home belonged ..."
- Santa Cruz's Architectural Heritage
"Architecture and history are closely intertwined in Santa Cruz, California. Each period in the City's ..."
- Santa Cruz's Town Clock, by Carmen Morones and Rechs Ann Pedersen
"The Town Clock, which towers over the convergence of Pacific Avenue and Water and Front ..."
- State Historical Landmarks for Santa Cruz County
"The following list is from the California Resources Agency (ceres) website, August, 2001. For more ..."
- The Days of the Sugar Pier: Aptos Wharf Once Stretched Quarter Mile from Shore, by Mary Bryant
"Back in the days when the roads leading into town were dirt and narrow, a ..."
- The Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf
"The present (1999) Municipal Wharf was built in 1914 and was the fifth wharf to ..."
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
PART 3: THE MASON-HENRY GANG
The next band of Confederate guerrillas to hide out at the mountain camp among the redwoods above Corralitos was the Mason-Henry Gang. This band of cutthroats was led by John Mason and James Henry, two southern boys who hid their depredations behind the semi-respectability ..." [More]
Excerpted from Copperheads--Part 3 by Phil Reader