Santa Cruz County History - Articles


Browsing Local History Articles tagged "quarries"

The Santa Cruz Years (1865-1897), by Laurie MacDougall
By 1865, Henry was in control of a thriving business in San Francisco, with significant assets, including at least a ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
Two known limekiln sites in the area have been referred to as "the Bonny Doon kilns." One (the subject of ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
Thomas Bull (sometimes shown as Bohl) bought 450 acres in 1865 and began producing lime in 1866. The following year ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
The Laguna limekilns and quarries are located in Santa Cruz County, in the Santa Cruz mountains, in Bonny Doon, California, ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
On the east side of Laguna Creek, downstream of Ice Cream Grade, are two side-by-side hillside pot kilns. Their floor ... [Read more]

Lime, by Henry G. Hubbard
The burning of lime was one of the earliest industries established in Santa Cruz County, the first kiln having been ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
It comes naturally in many forms. It comes in shades of white, yellow, green, brown, red, grey, and blue. It ... [Read more]

Limestone, by Henry G. Hubbard
This company was organized in 1922 and took over the old Caplatzi quarry which had been operated on a small ... [Read more]

This property, formerly known as the Thurber Quarry, contains 23 acres, situated two miles northwest of Santa Cruz, adjacent to ... [Read more]

Search Local History Articles

» Browse by Author

Explore Santa Cruz County History!

The Owners, part 2

Timothy Dame

Roberts' ownership tenure of the Cottages property was extremely brief, selling it and Lot 7 behind it to fellow sea captain Timothy Dame on March 5, 1859, for $145. A month later Dame swapped the inner parcel (Lot 7) for the one adjacent to ..." [More]

Excerpted from Early History of the Carmilita Cottages: The Owners, Part 2 by Rick Hyman