Santa Cruz County History - Articles


Browsing Local History Articles tagged "Bonny Doon"

[The following information is taken from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. A-4-1, A-4-3. [Read more]

[Read more]

[Read more]

[Read more]

[Read more]

[Read more]

The Roads of Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
A road network usually evolved as a means of opening up an area to residential, agricultural, and industrial development, and ... [Read more]

A Walk Through Time: John Burns, by Janet Krassow and Randy Krassow
[Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
Two known limekiln sites in the area have been referred to as "the Bonny Doon kilns." One (the subject of ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
Thomas Bull (sometimes shown as Bohl) bought 450 acres in 1865 and began producing lime in 1866. The following year ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
The purpose of this informal group is to study, understand, and teach the history of the lime industry in the ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
The Laguna limekilns are two, open top, side-by-side, top loading pot kilns that were built into the hillside such that ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
Some brick pieces can be found in the remaining lining of both kilns, and in the rubble around the kilns. ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
On the east side of Laguna Creek, downstream of Ice Cream Grade, are two side-by-side hillside pot kilns. Their floor ... [Read more]

The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon, by Robert W. Piwarzyk
[Read more]

Well into his ninth decade, George Lyle Winterhalder still has a sparkle in his eyes and a bit of the ... [Read more]

Search Local History Articles

» Browse by Author

Explore Santa Cruz County History!

Prepared by C. McK. Laizure,
Mining Engineer of the California State Mining Bureau

Miller Quarry

This property, formerly known as the Thurber Quarry, contains 23 acres, situated two miles northwest of Santa Cruz, adjacent to holdings of the Pacific Limestone Products Company. The rock varies from a ..." [More]

Excerpted from Mineral Survey of Santa Cruz County - Limestone by C. McK. Laizure