Santa Cruz County History - Films



On Location in Santa Cruz County

 


False Evidence: Buildings Used as Film Backdrop

False Evidence: Buildings Used as Film Backdrop

This postcard shows the old buildings that were used as a set for the film, "False Evidence." The name written on the card is "Santa Cruz Big Tree Park." The postcard is probably from a later time period than the film, since this was a later name for the park. From 1867 until 1930, this area south of Felton was a tourist attraction, called Welch's Big Tree Grove. In 1930, this park plus additional acreage, was sold to the County and became Santa Cruz Big Trees Park. Just to the south of this park was another park called Cowell's Big Trees. In 1954, the Cowell family donated its park to the state of California. The County park and the new state land were then combined to form Henry Cowell State Park.

Source of information about the park's name: Clark, Donald Thomas. Santa Cruz County Place Names.

Source: This photograph is from the Santa Cruz Photograph Collection in Special Collections, University Library, University of California, Santa Cruz. It is the property of the Regents of the University of California and may not be used in any way without the express permission of the University Library. Used here with permission.


Copyright 1998 Santa Cruz Public Libraries

Disclaimer:

It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.