Search Local History Articles
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Weather & Pop. Stats.
Population Statistics for Santa Cruz County and Cities, 1850--2000
Unless otherwise noted, statistics were taken from the "California Statistical Abstract," published by the Financial and Demographic Research Unit of the California Department of Finance. The following editions were used: 5th edition (1964), 21st edition (1980), and 37th edition (1996).
|Year||Santa Cruz Co.||Santa Cruz Citya||Watsonvilleb||Boulder Creekc||Soquelc||Feltonc||Capitolad||Scotts Valleye|
a Santa Cruz incorporated 1866.
b Watsonville incorporated 1868.
c The definitions of the unincorporated areas of Boulder Creek, Soquel and Felton are assumed to have changed between censuses.
d Capitola incorporated 1949.
e Scotts Valley incorporated 1966.
"The boundaries of incorporated cities are usually well-defined, but they are not constant. Hence population change over time in a given place may reflect not only population growth, but a change in the area of an incorporated place. Non-incorporated areas usually have less well-defined boundaries." 4
Statistics for other areas of Santa Cruz County may be found on the California State Department of Finance web site at: http://www.dof.ca.gov/html/demograp/reportspapers/censussurveys/census%2Dhistorical/documents/calhist2.xls
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce and Labor. Bureau of the Census. Thirteenth Census of the United States, taken in the year 1910. Government Printing Office, 1913.
- California State Department of Finance. Demographic Research Unit. Historical Census Populations of Places, Towns, and Cities in California, 1850-1990. [Table] (Online) http://www.dof.ca.gov/html/Demograp/calhist2.xls (visited October 13, 1999)
- California State Department of Finance. Demographic Research Unit. Historical Census Populations of California State and Counties, 1850-1990. (Online) http://www.dof.ca.gov/html/Demograp/1900-90.htm (visited October 15, 1999)
- California State Department of Finance. Demographic Research Unit. Historical Census Populations of Places, Towns, and Cities in California, 1850-1990. (Online) http://www.dof.ca.gov/html/Demograp/histtext.htm (visited October 19, 1999)
- U.S. Census Bureau. United States Census 2000. (Online through American Factfinder) http://factfinder.census.gov/ (visited November 7, 2001)
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.