Search Local History Articles
Browse Local History Topics
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Libraries & Schools
The First Santa Cruz Carnegie Library: Photographs from the Library's Collection
Four Santa Cruz libraries were built with grant money from the Carnegie Corporation. The cornerstone of the first one, which came to be known as The Carnegie Library, was laid on September 29, 1903. The building was designed by William H. Weeks.
On April 14, 1904, the new building was opened. The new library had two floors, with a total of about 9,000 square feet. The book collection was around 14,000 volumes and served a population of 10,000.
Over the years the building became covered with ivy, as this undated photograph shows.
Circulation Desk in 1941
The photo to the right and the ones below show the Library's interior in July 1941.
People would check out their books and ask reference questions at this desk. We believe that the cabinet to the right of the desk was the card catalog.
To the left of the desk were the main book stacks.
This is the Reading Room. The large painting to the right is "City of Santa Cruz," by Frank L. Heath. It was acquired by public subscription and was exhibited at both the World's Columbian Exhibition in Chicago, 1893 and the St. Louis Exhibition in 1904. It now hangs in the Downtown Branch, on the second floor landing leading to the Young People's room.
The Children's Room was here. Over the fireplace is another painting by Heath; it is titled," Mt. Shasta and Echo Lake." It now hangs in the Downtown Branch, on the landing of the stairway to the meeting room.
In September 1966, the Carnegie Library was demolished to make way for the construction of the present Downtown Branch. The Downtown Branch was dedicated April 27, 1968.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.