Santa Cruz County History - Architecture



The Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf

The present (1999) Municipal Wharf was built in 1914 and was the fifth wharf to be built in the harbor. It was approved with a $172,000 bond issue, following an Act of Congress. The wharf was originally 2,745 feet long and was officially dedicated on December 5, 1914. The SS Roanoke from San Francisco was present at the time and was the first vessel to dock at the wharf.


Source: Chase, John. Sidewalk Companion to Santa Cruz Architecture. c.1975. p. 18.
Koch, Margaret Koch. Santa Cruz County Parade of the Past. c.1973, p.56.


View similarly tagged articles:

wharves and piers

Disclaimer:

It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.