Search Local History Articles
Browse Local History Topics
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Films
On Location in Santa Cruz County - Bibliography
by Ann Young
Many of the articles dating from the 1910's and 1920's were found with the assistance of the following indexes, available at the Downtown Branch of the Santa Cruz Public Library:
- Santa Cruz Daily Surf Local News Index: 1909-1919
- Santa Cruz Evening News Local News Index: 1919-1924
- Santa Cruz Evening News Local News Index: 1925-Oct. 1928
The following newspapers were cited and/or consulted in the completion of this project. They are available at the Downtown Branch of the Santa Cruz Public Library. For references to specific newspaper articles, see the alphabetical or chronological listings of films made in the County.
Available on microfilm:
- Cabrillo Times & Green Sheet, 1976, 1980, 1982-1983
- Good Times, 1981, 1983-1984, 1987-1988
- The Mid-County Post, 1992
- The Mountain Echo, 1915
- San Francisco Chronicle, 1977
- San Jose Mercury News, 1992
- Santa Cruz Daily Surf, 1911-1917
- Santa Cruz Evening News, 1911, 1916-1917, 1919-1928, 1935, 1937-1938
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, 1911, 1916-1917, 1920, 1924-1925, 1927-1928, 1937, 1949, 1953, 1956-1957, 1964, 1975, 1977, 1980-1983, 1987-1991, 1995-1996
- Santa Cruz Surf and Superior California Farmer, 1919
- The Valley Press, 1974
Available in the newspaper clipping file:
- Photoplague, 1983
- San Jose Mercury News, 1994
- Santa Cruz County Visitors' Guide, 1982
- Watsonville Register-Pajaronian, 1988-1992
Halliwell, Leslie. Halliwell's Film Guide. 7th ed. New York: Harper and Row, 1989.
- Hanson, Patricia King and Alan Gevinson, eds. "Feature Films, 1911-1920: Film Entries." Berkeley: U of California P, 1988. Vol. F1 of The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States.
- Hyams, Jay. The Life and Times of the Western Movie. New York: Gallery Books, 1983.
- Koszarski, Richard. An Evening's Entertainment: The Age of the Silent Feature Picture, 1915 - 1928. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1990. Vol. 3 of "History of the American Cinema".
- Lydon, Sandy and Carolyn Swift. Soquel Landing to Capitola-By-The-Sea. DeAnza College: California History Center, 1978. Vol. 22 of "Local History Studies".
- Motion Pictures: 1912 -1939. Washington, D.C.: Copyright Office, The Library of Congress, 1951. Vol. 1 of Catalog of Copyright Entries. Cumulative Series. Motion Pictures. 1951-.
- Motion Pictures: 1940 -1949. Washington, D.C.: Copyright Office, The Library of Congress, 1953. Vol. 2 of Catalog of Copyright Entries. Cumulative Series. Motion Pictures. 1951-.
- Motion Pictures: 1950 -1959. Washington, D.C.: Copyright Office, The Library of Congress, 1960. Vol. 3 of Catalog of Copyright Entries. Cumulative Series. Motion Pictures. 1951-.
- Munden, Kenneth W., ed. Feature Films, 1921-1930. New York: R. R. Bowker Company, 1971. Vol. F2 of The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States.
- Pratt, George C. Spellbound in Darkness: A History of the Silent Film. Greenwich, CT: New York Graphic Society Ltd., 1973.
- Ringgold, Gene, and DeWitt Bodeen. The Films of Cecil B. DeMille. New York: The Citadel Press, 1964.
- Terrace, Vincent. Fifty Years of Television: A Guide to Series and Pilots, 1937 - 1988. New York: Cornwall Books, 1991.
Periodical and Journal Articles
- Gleason, Shirley. 'Boulder Creek Scrapbook: Photo Essay.' Santa Cruz County History Journal. Issue No. 1 (1994): 67-72.
- Koch, Margaret. 'Glenwood: Charlie Martin's Town.' Santa Cruz County History Journal. Issue No. 1 (1994): 107-112.
- McCrackin, Josephine Clifford. 'Bret Harte in 'The Movies': An Appreciation of the Film Form in Which the Great California Author's Literary Masterpieces are Being Revived.' "Overland Monthly." Vol. LXV, No. 6 (June, 1915): 487-497.
- Snell, Earle. 'Us Folks on the Film; A California Mountain Town That Has Gone Stark Movie-Mad.' "Sunset, The Pacific Monthly." March, 1918: 43-46.
- Material from the Barbara Giffen collection in the History Archives, Museum of Art and History at the McPherson Center, Santa Cruz, California.
- The Internet Movie Database.
(Note: This was included as a reference in the film lists only when a location search using the keywords "Santa Cruz," "Santa Cruz County," "Santa Cruz Mountains," or "Boulder Creek" produced the title.)
- Santa Cruz County Conference & Visitors Council List. April 29, 1998.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.