Search Local History Articles
Browse Local History Topics
- » Architecture
- » Arts
- » Community Services
- » Crime & Public Safety
- » Cultural Diversity
- » Disasters & Calamities
- » Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- » Films
- » Government
- » In the 19th Century
- » In the 20th Century
- » Libraries & Schools
- » Making a Living
- » People
- » Places
- » Recreation & Sports
- » Religion & Spirituality
- » Spanish Period & Earlier
- » Tourism
- » Transportation
- » Unusual & Curious
- » Weather & Pop. Stats.
- » World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Making a Living
A Howling Wilderness - Selected Bibliography
by Stephen Michael Payne
1. Colegrove, George Lewis. The Life Story of George L. Colegrove, Pioneer Californian; Stage Driver and Railroad Man, As Told by Himself. ed. George H. Hildebrand. Original memoirs dictated Fall 1932, edited 1974. (typewritten.)
2. Hall, Mildred N. "Mountain Memories: A Brief History of Laurel." Laurel, 1966 (typewritten.)
3. Pine, Larry. "Lumbering in the Santa Cruz Mountains." Santa Cruz, May 1973. (typewritten.)
4. Stuart, Reginald R. ed., The Burrell Letters; Including Excerpts from Birney Burrell's Diary and "Reminiscences of an Octogenarian. California Historical Society Quarterly vol. 28, no. 4 and vol. 29,nos. I and 2 (1949-1950); reprint ed., Oakland: By the Author,Westgate Press, 1950.
5. Winther, Oscar Osburn. "The Express and Stagecoach Business in California." Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford University, 1934.
6. Abstract of Title of Lyman J. Burrell in and to Lot 24 of the Soquel Augmentation Rancho, Santa Cruz, California. The copy used was copied from the original- prepared by H. E. McKinney, County Recorder for Santa Cruz County for Mary B. Smith, who added the title search from Santa Clara County-prepared by Samuel P. Howes. The copy was completed on March 13, 1882.
7. Fremont, John. "Geographical Memoir upon Upper California, In Illustration of his Map of Oregon and California." Senate Misc. No. 148, 30th Cong., 1st sess., 1848; reprinted., San Francisco: Book Club of California, 1964.
8. Santa Clara County School Directory; 1928-1929 and 1931-1932. Directory in Santa Clara County Schools Library.
9. Santa Cruz County Records of Marriages, vo. I, p. 2.
10."School Census Marshal's Report: Highland School District." Santa Clara County, 28 May 1892. Located in Santa Clara County Schools Office Library.
11. Scrapbook of the Santa Clara County Public Library. Located in Santa Clara County Public Library Office.
12.Young, Walter. "History of Skyland Community Church." Los Gatos: Skyland Community Church. (mimeographed.)
Journals, Newspapers, Articles
13. Addicott, James E. Santa Cruz Sentinel, 12/27/1950.
14. Alta California, 12/22/1860.
15. Baldwin, Warren. "The Santa Cruz Mountain Summit Community." News and Notes of the Santa Cruz Historical Society, 2/1962 and I0/ 1962.
16. Barrett, Dick. San Jose Mercury News, 3 / 13 / 1966.
17. Burrell, Lyman J. "Recollections of an Octogenarian," Mountain Echoes 12/31/1881-4/1/1882.
18. Calloway, Henry J. "Mexican Band-Aids for Charley." The Trialblazer, Vol. XIII (Fall 1973): 3-5.
19. Collidge, Susan. Scribner's Monthly, May 1873. Quoted in Santa Cruz Sentinel, 5/10/1873.
20. Frontier Gazette, 12/21/1957; Autumn 1960; Spring 1958; Home Coming 1959.
21. Houghton, Dick. "SP's Picnic Line." Trains, Vol. VIII (7/1948): 47-51.
22. James, George Wharton. "The Romantic History of Josephine Clifford McCrackin." Out West n.s. Vol. V (6/1913):340-351; Vol. VI (7-8/1913):30-46; Vol. VI (9 / 1913):107-1 1 0. [see The Romantic History of Josephine Clifford McCrackin.]
23. The Laurel Bulletin, 6/l/1915.
24. McCrackin, Josephine Clifford. Article published in Santa Cruz County: Resources, Advantages, Objects of Interest. 1887. Quoted in News and Notes from the Santa Cruz Historical Society, Vol. XXIII (IO/ 1962).
25. The Morning Call (San Francisco), I/ 17 / 1892.
26. Mountain Echoes, 12/31/1881-11/25/1882.
27. "The Mountain Ride." Santa Cruz Sentinel, 5/16/1874.
28. Pierce, Marjorie. "Socially Yours." San Jose Mercury News, 10/14/1973; 10/21/1973.
29. The Pioneer (San Jose), 3/16/1878.
30. San Jose Mercury Herald, 4 / 22 / 1934; 6 / 10 / 1934; 8 / 25 / 1936.
31. San Jose News, 9/l/1936.
32. San Jose Weekly Mercury, 5/7/1874.
33. Santa Cruz Sentinel, 5/2/1874; 5/9/1874; 9/3/ 1881; 4/4/1884; I/ 11/1976.
34. The Skyland Mountain Realty, 2/1906; 6,7,9,10,11,12/1906; 6/1907; 5,6/1910; 1,6/1911; 6/1917; 2,5,9/1918; 5/1919; 12/1920; 1/1921; 5/1922; 11/1926; 4,12/1927.
35. Winther, Oscar Osburn. " Stage-Coach Service in Northern California, 1849-52. The Pacific Historical Review Vol. III (6/1934): 387-399.
36. -----. "Stage-Coach Days in California: Reminiscences of H. C. Ward." California Historical Society Quarterly Vol. XIII (9/1934): 255-261.
37. -----. "The Story of San Jose, 1777-1869." California Historical Society Quarterly Vol. XIV (3/1936): 160-173.
38. Young, John V. "Ghost Towns of the Santa Cruz Mountains." San Jose Mercury Herald, 4/22-7/22/1934. [see Ghost Towns of the Santa Cruz Mountains. ]
39. Young, Walter. "Short History of Roads in Loma Prieta-Skyland Area." Mountain Echo Vol. I (5/1954): 22-23.
40. ----. "Memoirs of Walter Young," Los Gatos Times-Observer, 7/14/1959- 9 / 2 / 1959 and I I / 27 / 1961-1 / 2 / 1962.
Monographs and Special Studies
41. Bruntz, George G. The History of Los Gatos: Gem of the Foothills. Fresno: Valley Publishers, 1971.
42. Elliott, Wallace W. History of Santa Cruz County, California. San Francisco: Wallace W. Elliott and Company, 1879. [see History of Santa Cruz County, California.]
43. Foote, H. S. Pen Pictures from the Garden of the World or Santa Clara County, California. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1888.
44. Francis, Phil. Beautiful Santa Cruz County. San Francisco: H. S. Crocker Company, 1896.
45. Hall, Frederic. History of San Jose and Surroundings. San Francisco: A. L. Bancroft and Company, 1871.
46. Harrison, Edward S. History of Santa Cruz County. California. San Francisco: Pacific Press Publishing Company, 1892.
47. Koch, Margaret. Santa Cruz County: Parade of the Past. Fresno: Valley Publishers, 1973.
48. MacGregor, Bruce A. South Pacific Coast. Berkeley: Howell-North Books, 1968.
49. Martin, Edward. History of Santa Clara County. Los Angeles: Historic Record Company, 1911.
50.Munro-Fraser, J. P. History of Santa Clara County. San Francisco: Alley, Bowen and Company, 1881.
51. Patten, Phyllis Bertorelli. ed. by Elizabeth Spedding Calciano. Oh, That Reminds Me.... Felton, California: Big Trees Press, 1969.
52. Quinn, J. M. History of the State of California and Biographical Record of Coast Counties, California. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1904.
53. Rambo, Ralph. Pioneer Blue Book of the Old Santa Clara Valley. San Jose: Rosicrucian Press, 1973.
54. Sawyer, Eugene T. History of Santa Clara County, California. Los Angeles: Historic Record Company, 1922.
55. Bancroft, Hubert Howe. The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft: History of California. 7 vols. San Francisco: The History Company, 1886-1890; reprint ed., Santa Barbara: Wallace Hubberd, 1970.
56. Bean, Walton. California: An Interpretive History. 2nd ed. New York: McGraw- Hill Book Company, 1973.
57. Caughey, John W. California: A Remarkable State's History, 3rd ed. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall Incorporated, 1970. [see California, history of a remarkable state.]
58. Davis, Ellis A. Davis' Commercial Encyclopedia of the Pacific Southwest. Oakland: Ellis A. Davis, 1911-1915.
59. Fremont, John Charles. Memoirs of My Life. 2 vols. Chicago: Belford, Clarke and Company, 1887.
60. Fricksted, Walter N. compiler. A Century of California Post Offices: 1848-54. Oakland: Philatelic Research Society Publications, 1955.
61. Harper, Franklin. ed., Who's Who on the Pacific Coast. Los Angeles: Harper Publishing Company, 1913.
62. Hoover, Mildred Broode; Rensch, Hero Eugene; and Rensch, Ethel Grace. Historic Spots in California. 3rd ed. Revised by William N. Abeloe. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1966.
63. Melendy, H. Brett, and Gilbert, Benjamin F. The Governors of California: Peter H. Burnett to Edmund G. Brown. Georgetown, California: The Talisman Press, 1965.
64. Shea, John G. The American Shakers and Their Furniture. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1971.
65. Turrell, Charles B. Catalogue of the Products of California by the Southern Pacific Company, at the North, Central, and South American Exposition, New Orleans, November 16th, 1885, to April 1st 1886. New Orleans: Press of W. B. Stanbury and Company, 1886.
66. Winther, Oscar Osbum. Express and Stagecoach Days in California. Stanford: Stanford Press, 1936.
This bibliography is from A Howling Wilderness: a History of the Summit Road Area of the Santa Cruz Mountains 1850-1906, by Stephen Michael Payne. Santa Cruz, Loma Prieta Publishing Co., 1978.
Copyright 1978 Stephen Michael Payne. Reproduced by permission of the author.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.