Search Local History Articles
Browse Local History Topics
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Making a Living
Mineral Survey of Santa Cruz County - Mineral Water
by C. McK. Laizure
Prepared by C. McK. Laizure,
Mining Engineer of the California State Mining Bureau
Although several small mineral springs occur singly and in groups within Santa Cruz County, no mineral water is bottled or commercially produced. There is little improvement at any locality except St. Francis Springs which was formerly a popular resort, long known as Chittenden Springs and later as El Pajaro Springs, where hotel accommodations were available.
Hinns Sulphur Spring
This is a small unimproved cold sulphur spring, located near the top of Hinkley ridge about one mile east of Olive Springs. A number of other small unnamed seepages or springs of mineralized water also occur west and northwest of Olive Springs.
This picturesque property, which still remains practically in its natural state, comprises 100 acres, located on Hinkley Creek near its junction with Soquel Creek and extending to the top of the ridge between the two streams.
The property is in T. 10 S., R. 1 W., and varies in elevation from 300 feet at the camping ground to 1200 feet on the ridge. It is six miles north of Soquel with which it is connected by a good road. Owner EIizabeth J. Corcoran, Box 81, Seabright, California.
Hinkley Creek flows through a deep canyon here, the walls of which stand nearly vertical. Seepages and springs occur at numerous points in the creek bed and from the sandstone formation, which forms the canyon walls. The rock is very soft in places and in process of decomposition.
Of probably a dozen springs on the property, five have been somewhat improved by constructing small concrete basins around them. These five are known as the 'White Sulphur,' 'Sulphur.' 'Sulphur and Iron,' 'Magnesium,' and 'Magnesium and Iron' Springs, but the names mean little. All are cold.
The so-called 'magnesium and iron' spring has a flow which more than fills to capacity a 2-inch open pipe line, with a fall of 100 feet or more in a few hundred yards, leading from it to the camp grounds.
No water is sold but visitors are permitted to carry away as much as they desire.
Analysis of the 'White Sulphur' spring water
by G. A. Bangs, M. D., Chemist:
parts per million
|Constituents||By weight||Reacting values|
|Carbon dioxide (CO2)||present|
|Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S)||8.2|
The soft decomposed sandstone in the vicinity of the springs has been investigated with a view to utilizing it in the preparation of a cleansing compound or soap, as it is claimed to have remarkable qualities as a 'chemical clay.' It has a soluble potash content, and a small plant was erected on the property during the war period for the production of potash. A steel leaching tank and parts of what appear to be a concrete calcining furnace or evaporator remain on the ground, but as this work was carried on before the present owner took possession, the results obtained are not known. It is said that some potash was produced.
According to an analysis by E. W. Rice, of Santa Cruz, the decomposed sandstone has the following composition:
|Fe2O3, Iron Oxide||.755|
|Al203, Aluminum Oxide||13.575|
|Loss on ignition||3.125|
St. Francis Springs
This property contains 37 acres located on the banks of Pajaro River at Chittenden Station. At least 12 cool, strongly sulphuretted springs issue at this locality along a sloping bank near the river. The springs were long known locally as Chittenden Springs. In 1909 they were improved and opened to the public as Shale Sulphur Springs. Later the name was changed to El Pajaro Springs.
The property is now owned by the Franciscan Fathers, 133 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, and is called St. Francis Springs. It has reverted to private use and probably will never again be opened as a public resort. The conversion of the buildings into a seminary is contemplated.
State Mineralogist's Reports: VIII, p. 555; XIII, p. 519; XVII, pp. 239-241.
U. S. Geological Survey Water Supply Paper 338, pp. 272, 274- 276.
|Bituminous Rock||Gold||Mineral Water|
|Black Sand||Granite||Moulding Sand & Peat|
|Cement||Iron||Petroleum & Potash|
The Mineral Survey of Santa Cruz County was printed in the Santa Cruz Chamber of Commerce Annual Report, 1926. Reproduced by permission of the Santa Cruz Area Chamber of Commerce.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.