Search Local History Articles
- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History - Making a Living
The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon
by Robert W. Piwarzyk
[This article is excerpted from a manuscript titled, "The Laguna Limekilns: Bonny Doon," pp. 44-45. The maps, drawings, and photos of the manuscript are not included on this site. The manuscript is copyrighted 1996 by the author. It is used here with permission.]
- Chevigny, Hector. Russian America - the Great Alaskan Venture 1741-1867. Binford & Mort Publishing, Portland, Oregon, 1965.
- Clark, Donald Thomas. Santa Cruz County Place Names. Santa Cruz Historical Society, Santa Cruz, California, 1986.
- Clark, Donald Thomas. Monterey County Place Names. Kestrel Press, Carmel Valley, California, 1991.
- Costello, Julia G. "Lime Processing in Spanish California." Pacific Coast Archaeological Society Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, July 1977.
- Dawson, David. "From Rock and Fire, the Cities Came - Images of Old California Lime Kilns." Unpublished, Carmichael, California, 1992.
- Elliott, Wallace W. Santa Cruz County, California Illustrations. Wallace W. Elliot & Co., San Francisco, California, 1879.
- "Ernest Otto Writes about the Cowells." Santa Cruz Sentinel News. Santa Cruz, November 8, 1953.
- Gross, Eugene B.; Chesterman, Charles W.; Dunning, Gail; Cooper, Joseph F. "Mineralogy of the Kalkar Quarry, Santa Cruz, California." Special Report 92, California Division of Mines and Geology, San Francisco, California, 1967.
- Gurcke, Karl. Bricks and Brickmaking . The University of Idaho Press, Moscow, Idaho, 1987.
- Harrison, E.S. History of Santa Cruz County, California. Pacific Press Publishing Company, San Francisco, Ca., 1892.
- Hart, Earl W. "Limestone, Dolomite, and Shell Resources of the Coast Range Province, California." Bulletin 197, California Divisions of Mines and Geology, Sacramento, California, 1978.
- Hubbard, Henry G. "Mines and Mineral Resources of Santa Cruz County." California Journal of Mines and Geology, Division of Mines, San Francisco, California, Vol. 39, No-1, January, 1943.
- Jensen, Kenneth. "The Lime Industry in Santa Cruz County." Unpublished Manuscript, December 1976. Special Collections, McHenry Library, University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Johnson, Paul C., Editor. The California Missions. Lane Book Company, Menlo Park, California, 1964.
- Koch, Margaret. Santa Cruz County Parade of the Past. Valley Publishers, Fresno, Ca., 1973.
- Laurence, Barbara. "The Construction of Nature and Nature of Construction: a Study of the Historical Ecology of Fall Creek, Felton, California, 1860-1988." Unpublished Community Studies Senior Thesis, March, 1989.
- Leo, Gerhard W. "The Plutonic and Metamorphic Rocks of the Ben Lomond Mountain Area Santa Cruz, California." Special Report 91, California Division of Mines and Geology, San Francisco, California, 1967.
- Logan, Clarence A. "Limestone in California." California Journal of Mines and Geology, Division of Mines, San Francisco, California, Vol. 43, No. 3, July 1947.
- Macdougall, Laurie. Henry Cowell & His Family (1819-1955): a Brief History. S.H. Cowell Foundation, San Francisco, California, 1989.
- Office of Historic Preservation. California Historical Landmarks. California Department of Parks and Recreation, Sacramento, California, 1990.
- Orlando, Alverda. "Davenport and Its Cement Plant: the Early Years, 1903-1910." Santa Cruz County History Journal, Issue Number 1, 1994, S.C.C. Historical Trust, Inc.
- Orlando, Alverda. "The Wildest Ride in Town - Davenport's Cement Plant Railroad System." Santa Cruz County History Journal, Issue No. 2, 1994, S.C.C. Historical Trust, Inc.
- Piwarzyk, Robert W. The Limekilns of the Pogonip. Lime Light, May, 1994. Parks Department, City of Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, California.
- Reedy, Thomas L. & Alice M., Editors. In the Beginning, a History of the Paradise Park Site. The Paradise Park Masonic Club, Santa Cruz, California, 1967.
- Rolando, Victor R. "200 Years of Soot and Sweat; the History and Archeology of Vermont's Iron, Charcoal and Lime Industries." Vermont Archaeological Society, 1991.
- Torchiana, Henry Albert. Story of the Mission Santa Cruz. P. Elder, San Francisco, Ca., 1933.
- Treganza, Adan E. "Old Lime Kilns near Olema." Department of Natural Resources, State of California Division of Mines, Bulletin 154, San Francisco, Ca., December, 1951.
- Watrous, Stephen. "Outpost of an Empire - Fort Ross: the Russian Colony in California." Fort Ross Interpretive Association, Fort Ross, California, 1992.
- Warrick, Sheridan F., Editor. The Natural History of the UC Santa Cruz Campus. Publication No. 11, Environmental Field Program, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1982.
- Ziesing, Grace H., M.A. Archaeological Investigations at the Ixl Lime Kilns, Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, Fall Creek Subunit, Santa Cruz County, California. Anthropological Studies Center, Sonoma State University Academic Foundation, Inc., Rohnert Park, California, 1996.
- "What's Going on?" Santa Cruz Surf. Santa Cruz, December 11, 1899.
- Hendricks, Bud. News & Notes. Santa Cruz Historical Society, No. 9. Santa Cruz, February, 1958.
Felton Library Files
- Fikes, Edith. Felton librarian notes. Copy in "Early History of San Lorenzo Valley" album and in Limekiln file. January, 1973.
Santa Cruz County Surveyor Files
- Road Petitions, Plats, Maps: A2-45 (No Date), A4-157 (?), & A80-222 (1911), and Viewers Report No. 64 (1901) Concerning Lime Kiln Road and Ice Cream Grade.
- Andreasen, John. Neighbor who encountered an old timer who said he hauled limestone to the kilns on Laguna Creek from a quarry to the west. Conducted by Robert W. Piwarzyk. Bonny Doon, 1995.
- Jensen, Kenneth. Author of "The Lime Industry of Santa Cruz County. Conducted by Robert W. Piwarzyk. Bonny Doon, 1995.
- Trotts, Ruth Adams. Granddaughter of Reverend Phelps R Adams, early resident of Bonny Doon. Mrs. Trotts visited Bonny Doon as a young girl and traveled Ice Cream Grade. Conducted by Nancy Andreasen. Santa Cruz, 1985.
- Wildhagen, Ernest. Visited his uncle in Bonny Doon and traveled Ice Cream Grade as a young boy. Conducted by Robert W. Piwarzyk. Bonny Doon, 1996.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.