- Community Services
- Crime & Public Safety
- Cultural Diversity
- Disasters & Calamities
- Executive Order 9066 and the Residents of Santa Cruz County
- In the 19th Century
- In the 20th Century
- Libraries & Schools
- Making a Living
- Recreation & Sports
- Religion & Spirituality
- Spanish Period & Earlier
- Unusual & Curious
- Weather & Pop. Stats.
- World War II
Santa Cruz County History
More than 400 articles on Santa Cruz County history, many with illustrations, are available on this site. Also included are more than 350 full-text local newspaper articles on films and the Japanese-American internment. Browse the articles by selecting a subject from the menu to the left, or use the search form to look for something more specific.
For More Local History:
- Take a look at our Local History Subject Guide
- Browse our Local History Photo Gallery--additional Scotts Valley historical photos can be viewed on the Online Archive of California
- Search our online index to Local Newspapers from the 19th and early 20th centuries
- Search our online index to our Newspaper Clipping File
- Browse or search our database of Local Ballot Measures (going back to 1980)
- Visit any of our branch libraries. Circulating books listed in the Online Catalog may be requested and transferred to any branch. The Downtown Branch has additional local history resources—microfilm of local newspapers, a newspaper clipping file, and a Genealogy Library.
The Santa Cruz Public Libraries is grateful to our local historians and their publishers for giving us permission to include their articles on our website. Without their generosity, this site would be impoverished.
It is our continuing goal to make available a selection of articles on various subjects and places in Santa Cruz County. Certain topics, however, have yet to be researched. In other cases, we were not granted permission to use articles. The content of the articles is the responsibility of the individual author. It is the Library's intent to provide accurate local history information. However, it is not possible for the Library to completely verify the accuracy of individual articles obtained from a variety of sources. If you believe that factual statements in a local history article are incorrect and can provide documentation, please contact the Webmaster.
Search Local History Articles
Explore Santa Cruz County History!
Santa Cruz County has had five courthouses since its formation on February 18, 1850, and a sixth is currently  being built. The five courthouses have been in four separate buildings, three of which were not built by the county. The first location was in a hotel on the north ..." [More]
Excerpted from The History of the Santa Cruz Courthouse by Margaret Souza