Did You Know?
E Clampus Vitus
E Clampus Vitus is a men-only organization which flourished in the California mining camps during the Gold Rush days. After many years of being dormant, it was revived in the early 1930's, and has chapters throughout the West. It has been described by Carl Wheat, a San Francisco historian who helped to revitalize it, as the "comic strip on the page of California's history."
Chapters local to Santa Cruz are:
* Branciforte #1797 P.O. Box 605 Felton, CA 95018
* Monterey Viejo #1846 P.O. Box 4912 Salinas, CA 93912
* Mountain Charlie #1850 P.O. Box 23564 San Jose, CA 95153
- Men Will Be Boys: the Story of E Clampus Vitus
by Lois Rather. Rather Press, 1980.
- Chapter Map Page
Gives links and locations of E Clampus Vitus chapters.
- Last Days of the Late, Great State of California
by Curt Gentry. Putnam, 1968.
Last updated by lipomad on July 2, 2014
While the Library has verified the information presented in these files in what it considers to be reliable and authoritative sources, it cannot take responsibility for nor guarantee the accuracy of the information presented.